Can't access 1Psswrd7 Mac hard drive wiped, OS & applications reinstalled; have key #, master pswrd

jcqsmarchand
jcqsmarchand
Community Member

I can't access 1Password 7. My Mac hard drive has been wiped to solve a software problem; the OS and applications have been reinstalled. I have a license number, the Account Key, and the Master Password. It doesn't work to let me in. The same account continues to work on my iPhone and my iPad. Please help.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.15.3
Sync Type: not sure, think it's iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can't access 1Psswrd7 Mac hard drive wiped, OS & applications reinstalled; have key #, master pswrd

Comments

• jcqsmarchand
    jcqsmarchand
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

My name is [removed by 1Password staff for privacy reasons because it included personal information-- this is a public forum]. My email address is [removed by 1Password staff for privacy reasons because it included personal information-- this is a public forum]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jcqsmarchand!

For your privacy and security, I have removed your name, surname and email address from your second post. This is a public forum, so you might not want that sort of information available to everyone.

It doesn't work to let me in.

What happens exactly when you try to access your account? Do you get an error message?

• WalterDufresne
    WalterDufresne
    Community Member

I have a MacMini with the same experience ("nuke and pave") and the same problem. My particular error is 1Password 7 refuses to allow selection of the database file in Dropbox. Meanwhile, 1Password 7 on my MacBook Pro works fine. What am I doing wrong?

• WalterDufresne
    WalterDufresne
    Community Member

Fwiw, I'm a licensee and not a subscriber, since 2013. (And yes, I should have licensed sooner!)

• @WalterDufresne

Please ensure you are pointing your install at a file ending in *.opvault and not .agilekeychain. 1Password 7 requires the use of the newer opvault format.

• WalterDufresne
    WalterDufresne
    Community Member

Thanks for that. So far I've failed to find my Primary Vault ending in .opvault. Let's first try to locate the vault with my MacBook Pro, which works well with 1Password. Then we can move on to my MacMini, which got nuked.

• WalterDufresne
    WalterDufresne
    Community Member

In 1 Password 7 | Preferences... | Vaults, it looks like my Primary Vault (still working) is on Apple's iCloud. But I don't see it anywhere on Apple's iCloud. I must misunderstand something.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020

@WalterDufresne

No, that helps a lot thanks for providing those details. 1Password uses the Apple CloudKit for syncing you would not see a data folder in iCloud. Another way to put it is, the syncing folder is not user facing.

In the syncing settings, change the sync type > iCloud. The data will be repopulated from iCloud.

If you are on the initial start up screen select the option for iCloud.

• WalterDufresne
    WalterDufresne
    Community Member

Thanks for the clear description of what I needed to do.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.