Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Artem4ik ,
    It looks like you are trying to work with a browser that is not officially supported by 1Password, which is why 1Password cannot verify its code signatures and will not allow the extension to work with it.

The browsers that are officially supported are these: https://1password.com/browsers/

If you have an active membership account, you can try and install 1Password X in that browser and see if that works, since 1Password X does not require the desktop app and therefor does not go through the verification process as it implements different methods of security: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• Artem4ik
    Artem4ik
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@Yaron Please add to the list of allowed browsers - Chromium.
    For example, in Google Chrome Canary - 1Password works, but not in Chromium. This really upsets me! :(

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Artem4ik ,
    We do not add supported browsers on a whim, it is a process that requires long term security audits and resources. We do not currently plan to add support to any new browsers.

You specifically asked for Chromium support, but that is just the source code that anyone can build a Chromium based browser from. If you compile it on your own, then the browser is not signed by anyone and therefore cannot be supported even if we wanted it to. The browsers we support must be signed by a developer (or a known developer that we trust, for that matter).

If you'd like to use any Chromium based browser, then you can use 1Password X, which does not need the 1Password desktop app to function and does not require verification of the code signatures as it has its own security mechanisms built into it: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

I hope that helps :)

• bilan
    bilan
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Hello,

I would like to request the same demand than Artem4ik.
    It 'd be nice to be able to use 1password with Chromium. I understand what you say but then, even though you warm the user about the potential risk, he still should be able to decide. For now we can only install it on Google version of Chromium, and I'm not sure what it the most dangerous choice btw Google and the open source community version .. ;)

I've checked your link to use 1passwordX but it looks like I have to pay again. I bought a v6 license, the a v7 license, I don't want to pay again every month simply to install a plugin into my browser. Or did I understand wrong ?

KR,
    Bertrand

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bilan

Letting users decide if they want to take security risks often ends up with most users not reading or understanding that risk and compromising their data, as history teaches us over and over again.

1Password X is the only option at the moment since it does not require a secure connection to the 1Password desktop app. Instead, it connects directly to a 1Password.com cloud account (requires a membership, yes), and handles all the data there in a secure manner. It means that 1Password X does not connect to the desktop app at all, which has its advantages (like working in all browsers) but also some disadvantages (such as auto-locking whenever you quit the browser).
    We're hoping to unify all of our clients and apps to have an identical behavior, experience and abilities on all platforms, so perhaps in the future it will be possible to work with all browsers in a secure manner like 1Password X does right now, but I don't have anything concrete to share on the matter as it is much too early, progress wise.

Our membership service is billed annually (35.88 USD per year for an individual account), but I'm sure if you contact our support they'll be able to discount you in a substantial manner since you already purchased a license for 1Password 7. You can also sign up for a free 30 days trial before deciding, so you can give 1Password X a spin and see if it satisfies you.

• bilan
    bilan
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Hello Yaron,
    Thank you for this very quick answer. Honestly I'm not sure to understand the difference of dangerousness between both solution you explain ( to connect to all the datas stocked in your cloud or to all the datas stocked in your application). But I do not doubt you have good technical reasons.
    Anyway, I love 1password. And yes, maybe in the futur I'll consider to switch to the cloud/subscription solution. Thank you for the discount, I keep it in mind.

KR,
    Bertrand

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bilan ,

The difference is that the desktop app requires a connection with the extension in your browser, and for that it needs to verify the integrity of your browser before allowing such a connection. But 1Password X doesn't reveal anything to the browser, so this verification is not needed.
    You can learn more about 1Password X's security model here: https://support.1password.com/1password-x-security/

Happy to help :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.