Why do Firefox show two versions (buttons) of 1Password 7 Mini?

Yesterday, Firefox asked me to install 1Password Mini in the browser. Since I already had one version of 1P Mini in Firefox, I thought that it was an update / new version... unfortunately, now I have two buttons - one with a blue ring around the keyhole and the old 1P button in black and white color.

I can't figure which version to keep. The new one wont accept the one touch login on my MacBook. It only accept the Master Password.

Should I uninstall the new extension? Is it newer than the previous?

Any help is very much appreciated.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Cataline 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @panozfan!

It sounds like you installed 1Password X in addition to the regular browser extension. 1Password X is our latest extension that runs entirely in the browser. If you don't want it, you can remove it from your browser's extensions list and return to using the old extension exclusively.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt help @ag_ana ... my apologies for not responding sooner.

As I see it, 1Password X does not accept using the Touchbar (like the previous version)... am I right? I've gone through Settings without finding any solusion.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan – That's right. 1Password X doesn't support Touch ID in the stable version. However, we are testing what we call Desktop App Integration in the 1Password for Mac beta as well as the 1Password X beta that allows you to unlock both the desktop app and 1Password X simultaneously, and essentially allows you to unlock 1Password X with Touch ID. If you have any desire in testing it out while it's still in the beta phases, take a look at this post to get started.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@kaitlyn - Many thanks for the information and link. Will Firefox users be prompted when the integration is launching? Should I disable 1PX or remove it? Or will it be an automated update from within Firefox?

• @panozfan

I would recommend following our social media channels, as well as our blog, which will no doubt relay information when the feature launches, and leaves beta.

As for 1Password X, you can disable it, if you like, or remove it. If you disable it, make sure it remains disabled. You should not run two versions at the same time.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Many thanks for your quick reply.

• You're welcome.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Hi there,

A new problem occured - now, suddenly the 1Password Mini (in the Firefox toolbar) started blinking and I couldn't activate 1P when clicking the icon. Therefore, I had to uninstall and (re)install 1Password X in order for it to work... however, as mentioned earlier, I can't use Touch ID in this version which is quite annoying.

At the same time, when clicking on 1Password in the Menubar, it everytime ask me to install 1Password Extension (which I abviously have). A searchbar is visible, though.

Am I missing something here? I've never experienced problems like that with 1P

Any help is very much appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

I had to uninstall and (re)install 1Password X in order for it to work... however, as mentioned earlier, I can't use Touch ID in this version which is quite annoying.

You can, if you use the beta version of 1Password X and 1Password for Mac, as per kaitlyn's post above ;)

At the same time, when clicking on 1Password in the Menubar, it everytime ask me to install 1Password Extension (which I abviously have). A searchbar is visible, though.

That is because 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop app. It's the companion browser extension that does. So what you are seeing is normal if you use 1Password X.

What happens if you reinstall the companion extension for Firefox? Does it keep blinking for you?

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Many thanks for your quick reply. Nobody is blinking to me anymore ;)

However, I must admit that it's quite a puzzle with all these extensions, add-ons, etc... :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

Many thanks for your quick reply. Nobody is blinking to me anymore ;)

That is great to hear!

However, I must admit that it's quite a puzzle with all these extensions, add-ons, etc... :)

I understand. If it helps, we offer two browser extensions: the regular one that requires the 1Password desktop app to work, and 1Password X, which can work independently without the need for the desktop app.

But if you want 1Password X to communicate with the desktop app (like the regular browser extension), we offer that feature in our beta channel for now :)

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

I'm sorry, but now the 1Password extension in the Firefox toolbar start blinking again and. I've never had those kind of problems wit 1P before :( It all started after installing an update.

It will be such a great help if you could guide me step by step in order to install the correct extensions and add-ons for Firefox in the correct order. Obviously, I've already installed the 1Password 7 desktop version for macOS 10.15.3

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Oh, my reply just crossed yours...

• jaccident
    jaccident
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Original comment:
    I'm also plagued with the flashing icon issue using the Firefox extension on MacOS.

EDIT:
    @panozfan I think I found a fix.
    1. I went to Help > Troubleshooting > Retart 1Password Extension Helper
    2. Then force quit the app and reopen.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Many thanks for your help @jaccident

I followed your instructions and it seems to work, however, 1Password Mini (in the menubar) are very unstable. Sometimes you can open the app in the menubar, sometimes not.

@ag_ana I'm quite sure there's a bug here. Being forced to use Help > Troubleshooting > Restart... - and then Force quit the app and restart doesn't seem logical.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan – Could you let me know what 1Password extensions you currently have installed in Firefox? You should be able to paste about:addons into the URL bar in Firefox. Let me know what you see on that page. I'll wait to hear back from you, and we'll go from there.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn :)

The following is installed on my Mac: 1Password extension (desktop app required)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @panozfan. These are the steps I typically suggest right off the bat if the 1Password extension isn't working:

1. Hold down the option key and click the 1Password icon in the right side of your macOS menu bar and select Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Right click on the Firefox icon in your dock and select Quit.
    3. Reopen both 1Password and Firefox and test the 1Password extension.

If the issue still exists, I think we'll be better off moving our conversation to email so I can see a diagnostics report. Let me know how the above steps go, and I'll let you know how to send a diagnostics report if necessary.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Many thanks @kaitlyn ... it worked :)

However, I actually miss using 1Password in the browser..., so I'll take a deep breath and jump right in changing to the 1Password X Beta version.

Thanks again for your help with my issues :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @panozfan! Glad to have you back to the 1Password X side. ;)

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Hmm... where do I find the beta version of 1Password Desktop for Mac? There are numerous links on your site so it's quite difficult to decide which one to choose and to get the right instructions.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

If you already have 1Password for Mac installed, there is no need to download a separate installer from the Downloads page. If you open 1Password Preferences > Updates tab, please check the option named Include beta build and check for updates again to switch to the beta channel ;)

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana

The current version of 1Password for Mac is the one below which have no Update tab in Preferences:

1Password 7
    Version 7.4.4 (70404001)
    Mac App Store

I noticed somewhere that it has to me a version downloaded from 1Password's website. Am I right?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

I see, you are using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. The MAS version has no support for beta builds, you need to use 1Password from our website instead, which you can download from here ;)

And this tutorial will show you how to move from one version to the other if you decide to do so.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Thanks again @ag_ana

Seat belts are fastend and here we go... :)

After installing, I noticed that 1Pasword Mini (in the menu bar) still suggest me to install the 1Password Extension (see attached image). Have I forgot to remove/delete anything?

• Thanks for sending over that screenshot, @panozfan!

Now that you've switched to the 1Password store version of 1Password for Mac, have you turned on "beta builds?" If you have not already done so, here's how: 1. Open the 1Password desktop app and click 1Password in the macOS menu bar.
    2. Choose Preferences and navigate to the Updates tab.
    3. Check Include beta builds and check for updates again.

If you've already done that, can you please check to make sure Desktop App Integration is turned on in the 1Password X settings? To get there:

1. "Right click" (option - click) on the 1Password X icon in the browser toolbar.
    2. Choose Settings.
    3. Make sure Integrate with 1Password Desktop Application is toggled on.

Now as long as Firefox is open and active, and there's a connection between 1Password X and the 1Password desktop app, you should be able to open 1Password Mini from the macOS menu bar and see your items right away. However, that prompt to install the 1Password extension shouldn't be too in the way, as you can still start typing to get to a desired Login item, even if you're seeing that prompt.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind my asking, I'd love to know the use-case is that has you seeking your items in Mini. :) The only time I ever use Mini is if I need a Login item for an application. Otherwise, 1Password X suggesting my logins right within the field as I visit different sites is all I need throughout my work day.

Sorry for the wall of text. I hope some of it was useful. :)

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Many thanks @cecelia for your help - and please excuse me for my late respons. Everything works fine now - no prompt in the 1P Mini now.

To answer your logic question: Honestly, I think that I'm using 1P Mini because I'm used to it and have done it for years now :) That's the only explanation I can give you ;)

However, I really hope that you never discontinue 1P Desktop version. It's much easier to edit from that app than from the 1PX... at least for me ;)

I've noticed a strange issue in 1Password X: When using the password genarator, it often (actually every time) "call" my generated password as Awful (that's at least what I would translate it to from Danish language 8-) .

I'm using 21 (twenty-one) letters e.g. like this: neonatal-Nervy-dell65

How can that kind of password be weak? Furthermore, when it's generated by 1P? I've personaly added the capital N and the numbers 65 to make the password better, but that shouldn't make it weaker, right?

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

PS: Please let me know if this question should be directed to another forum for Beta's.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

We are aware of some differences in the way the different 1Password apps calculate the strength of generated passwords, and I think you have stumbled exactly upon one of these differences. The important thing to remember is that your password is actually safe, the problem is just in the way its strength is visualized in the app.

This discussion has been closed.