English translation - the term "period" may not be understood outside America

Hi there,

My parents in-law were having difficulty using the 1password-X browser extension.

When I asked what their issue was, they said that the auto-fill wasn't working and it wanted them to push a key-combination they could not understand. The auto-fill message was "Press Ctrl+Period to unlock 1password".

Once I explained to them that the word "period" was commonly used in America meaning "full stop", they immediately understood what was being asked of them.

I think there should be a setting in 1password for American English or British English to correct for this.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: Firefox
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @woodsb02! 👋

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm curious what you'd call the . key on your keyboard. I want to ensure it's understood across the board, however, I haven't heard of the misunderstanding in the past.

Also, keep in mind that the keyboard shortcut to access 1Password X is Ctrl+Period by default, but they have the ability to change that shortcut to a different set of keys. If you need any help with that, just let me know and I'd be happy to walk through it with you.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @woodsb02! You really do learn something new every day. To be completely honest, I'm not sure that the word "Period" is translated when you select another language in 1Password X. The first thing we'd need to do is localize that string to allow for translation if we were to do two separate English language options. I'll pass your feedback along to my team. I appreciate you sharing it with us!

In the meantime, if your in laws are still having a bit of confusion, I'd suggest changing the keyboard shortcut for them so it doesn't include the . key. I changed mine to Command+Alt+X (on a Mac), for example, and that worked well for me.

ref: dev/core/core#700

• Gallandro
    Gallandro
    Community Member

Can I give this a +1? "Period" is not only not used for that purpose outside of the USA, it has other less pleasant connotations also. This needs to be localised desperately.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback about this as well @Gallandro :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.