TouchID on 1Password X?

I've switched to the 1Password X extension in chrome as email support informed me the regular extension was no longer supported. However, it seems Touch ID is not possible in 1Password X. I hate having to type my password so frequently to unlock it.

Is there a way to enable it, or will it be added to the extension soon? I'll likely be switching back to the old unsupported extension if not.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi there :) I know it's something the 1Password team have expressed interested in developing before but from what in the past they have expressed it is a rather difficult integration to develop as Chrome does not have APIs provided for it.
    This thread might interest you from last year:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91189/will-touch-id-be-available-on-1password-x-in-the-future
    More recently it seems there are hints at it being worked on so hopefully maybe in the future! For now though if it is cumbersome it might suit you more to return to the older extension and support that with the native desktop app

• Hi @rxguy

As far as I'm aware it isn't currently possible for Chrome extensions to directly interact with the macOS Touch ID APIs. What may be possible is having 1Password for Mac act as an intermediary... i.e. unlocking 1Password for Mac with Touch ID could possibly unlock 1Password X (in the same / similar way unlocking 1Password for Mac unlocks the traditional browser extensions). Definitely something we'd love to be able to do, though I can't say anything further than that at this point.

Thanks for chiming in @nedmullen1. :)

Ben

• rxguy
    rxguy
    Community Member

Okay, I understand there are some issues involved implementing it in 1Password X.

Since that's the case I've uninstalled 1Password X and reinstalled the basic chrome browser extension. Is it truly unsupported? Are there any issues/security concerns if I continue to use it? Unfortunately as soon as I couldn't use TouchID the browser extension lost all ease and convenience for me (my master password is long and complicated as encouraged). I couldn't login to sites as quickly anymore.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @rxguy,

There are no security issues surrounding the older companion extension. It's just one is newer and more exciting for those involved. They are a bit different but we would never keep an extension around if it was insecure in any way.

• Hi @rxguy,

Sad to hear you had to uninstall 1Password X, but I completely understand the feeling. The classic desktop extension is fully supported (and indeed the best option for many people) and you can feel safe using it.

We've taken your feedback about Touch ID to heart, and I hope it won't be long before we can entice you to give 1Password X another shot. :)

Mitch

• rxguy
    rxguy
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick replies and reassurances guys! Happy I can safely continue using the old extension. Hope to see TouchID someday be possible in 1Password X.

• You're very welcome. :+1: :)

Ben

• tedder
    tedder
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@Ben et al, I've mentioned before that a Yubikey (FIDO/U2F, which has browser support) would be good too. I just want something, I'm spoiled with having no options on Unix even though Android and MacOS have fingerprint support. I'm not used to typing in my master key so much!

If you said "we now support X device", I'd buy it.

• I'm not used to typing in my master key so much!

U2F wouldn't replace the need to type the Master Password. U2F is a second factor ("Universal 2nd Factor"). The Master Password would still be required if we were to implement U2F.

If you said "we now support X device", I'd buy it.

Good to know. :) :+1:

Ben

• tedder
    tedder
    Community Member

U2F wouldn't replace the need to type the Master Password. U2F is a second factor ("Universal 2nd Factor"). The Master Password would still be required if we were to implement U2F.

I was (incorrectly?) assuming it would work as the short-term unlocker like a fingerprint does, or like a PIN does/used to on the mobile apps.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tedder,

So there was a conversation I had in the past with some other users here in the forum that may be of interest to you. I learned about a feature in some versions of a Yubikey where you can get it to send a static password stored in the key. I don't know the details but here is a link to the first post on this matter. We are still looking at what can be done to make 1Password X easier for those lucky enough to have Macs with Touch ID but if you want something more immediate that could be one possible route.

• Good news, @rxguy & nedmullen1!!! 1Password X now has Desktop App Integration on Mac! 🎉

Check out our recent beta announcement for details on how to set things up so you can use Touch ID on your Mac. Support for Windows and Windows Hello will be coming in a future release.

If you're feeling adventurous, please give the beta a try and let us know how it goes. 😘

++dave;

• dunnky
    dunnky
    Community Member

@dteare I'm curious if you could shed any light on a timeline for moving the Desktop App Integration for Mac (i.e. TouchID) out of beta and into the mainline 1Password X?

It's been a year since it entered beta, so I assume there is some blocker preventing the team from the final approval. It's the only thing preventing me from using the X extension which is a much, much better experience than the classic version.

Thanks!

• @dunnky

We're all very excited for Desktop App Integration but we want to be sure we've got it right.

Ben

• Ben nailed it: we want to make sure we have it right before rolling it out to Windows and the stable channels. We've had some good progress overall but enough edge cases still remain that we need to take things slow. There's some new ideas being discussed now that I believe will be able to get us over the hump once completed. 🤞

I want this feature released more than anyone so I'm hopeful we can get there sooner than later. 🙂 Sorry I can't be any more specific than that. 🙏🏻

• WaltDittrich
    WaltDittrich
    Community Member

This may seem sort of diverging from the original topic, but it's one that came to mind reading the comments above:
    I've been using 1Password since version 4, on my Mac and iPhone when it was available. Now using 1Password 7, I've loved the CMD+Shift+\ key to bring up and autofill passwords on websites.
    With 1Password X, I can now use 1Password on my work computer, where I am not allowed to install programs (apps). It works wonderfully. At home 1Password, with its Chrome extension. At work, 1Password X.

I see above, mention that 1Password extension is no longer being supported, but then corrected by a Team Member saying it still is.

Are there any advantages I'm not understanding from using 1Password extension or 1Password X? Pros, cons, etc.? I haven't been able to find any place on the website to list the differences/pros/cons.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

@WaltDittrich:

Are there any advantages I'm not understanding from using 1Password extension or 1Password X? Pros, cons, etc.? I haven't been able to find any place on the website to list the differences/pros/cons.

1Password X is our latest extension, and its biggest advantage is that it does not require the desktop app to be installed (so it allows you to use 1Password even on work computers where you are not allowed to install apps, or on Linux computers). In addition to this, you can find a list of 1Password X features here:

1Password X

But it's still a matter of personal preference: you can use the extension you like the most :)

• coreyward
    coreyward
    Community Member

Any update on this? My master password is rather long and complicated, so typing it frequently is a significant deterrent to adopting 1Password X, but I'm pretty fed up with the obnoxious process to get 1Password to generate a password and attach it to a login without a separate password being saved.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@coreyward:

We are working hard on this! :+1: You can read all the latest details here.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @felixfbecker ,
    What I gathered from a quick read is that this is for Safari specifically, which already supports Touch ID right now.

Regardless, we're always on the lookout for new APIs while still working on implementing our own stuff to get this working in other browsers as well :)
    Stay tuned and keep your apps up to date.

This discussion has been closed.