1Password 7.4.741 Beta 3 for Windows is out! [You'll need to manually check for update!]

Hey folks!

We got more bug fixes for you in today's 1Password 7.4.741 Beta 3 update. One important bug fix is that we fixed a regression where 1Password doesn't check for updates in the background, it now does. If you're on the first two beta versions (build 7.4.738 or 7.4.740), please open the 1Password menu manually and it'll find today's update.

[IMPROVED] 1Password should be more responsive when opening and/or syncing standalone vaults. {OPW-4086}
[FIXED] Reused Password banners weren't removed or updated after saving items. {OPW-4449}
[FIXED] Saving files from 1Password to the drive did not reveal the file in Windows Explorer. {OPW-3581}
[FIXED] Restored the background update checker for 1Password. {OPW-4462}
[FIXED] Rebuilt how we pass monitor DPI information between processes, this should fix 1Password mini not showing up on certain monitor setups due to lack of DPI information. {OPW-4463}
[FIXED] Scanning from my screen for the 1Password Setup Code did not work sometime. {OPW-4457}
[FIXED] Fixed crashes from the submitted crash reports, thank you! {OPW-4458}

Find all of the changelogs of the last three beta updates here.
Direct link to 1Password 7.4.741.BETA-3.

Comments

• Microka
    Microka
    Community Member

Hi MikeT, I just update to 7.4.741, when i right click the 1password icon on taskbar, the menu appear normally. But click any options in the menu doesn't work, cannot open the mini window or app window, even cannot exit.
    The way to solve this problem is terminate 1Password in task manager and re-launch it. Can you help solve this problem?

I am using Windows 10 enterprise 1909 18363.628

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

I'm stuck on 7.4.738, and checking for the upgrade doesn't find anything.
    UPDATED: I found the download link right after posting this. I'd delete the post if I could.

• Hi guys,

@microka, when you open task manager, did you only see one 1Password process running at the time?

@beirne,

That may happen if 1Password can't reach our site, maybe because of a firewall or something. Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what's happening. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Microka
    Microka
    Community Member

@MikeT, at this moment my 1Password doesn't work again, i open task manager, in Processes tab, there are two 1Password running under the Background processes; in Details tab, there are three 1Password.exe running.

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi @Microka,

Terminate 1Password again and then please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Microka
    Microka
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT , sent.

• @Microka,

Thanks, we got the email and the report, we're reviewing and will get back to you via email.

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member

@MikeT, thanks for the offer to help. I already got 741 in so there won't be much to see. I'll let this one go but watch for future updates.

• @beirne, all of the internal errors may be kept in the logs for up to 14 days, so whatever happened may still be in the logs. Please do send us the report to avoid the chance of it happening again in the future.

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member

@MikeT Another factor is that I was on-site on a customer where I'm under an NDA and can't risk leaking any information about their network. I appreciate you wanting to take care of this and I would otherwise happily send up the diagnostics, and have before, but I can't do it this time.

• I totally understand, thanks for explaining.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Thank you!

• On behalf of the team, you're welcome!

• Redbaron2
    Redbaron2
    Community Member

When installing the latest version of the beta with or without the "--silent" switch
    This is the output:

2020-02-17 16:55:20.307898 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:472: 1Password 7.4.741
    [2020-02-17 16:55:20.307898 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:473: Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2020-02-17 16:55:20.479804 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:266: Copying files to C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    [2020-02-17 16:55:20.479804 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter::transaction] opw-starter\src\transaction.rs:68: copying files to: C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\update\7
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.104748 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:270: Renaming C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.104748 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter::transaction] opw-starter\src\transaction.rs:92: renaming C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.276681 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter::transaction] opw-starter\src\transaction.rs:127: renaming C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.276681 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:278: Renaming C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.276681 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter::transaction] opw-starter\src\transaction.rs:127: renaming C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.276681 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:295: File copying completed successfully!
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.276681 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:355: starting C:\Users\Tech\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe setup
    [2020-02-17 16:55:21.573496 -08:00] INFO [opw_starter] opw-starter\src\main.rs:128: Installation completed successfully!
    1password has been installed.

This just appears on the screen.

Could this be a bug?

RB

• Hi @Redbaron2,

How are you installing it?

If you're doing it in a terminal shell, that's not a new bug, it does output the logs from the installer. The --silent is for the UI, not the terminal output. The bug fix we did in 7.4 is that if you had no data, it would show the welcome tour. Now, it won't.

We'll look at suppressing the log in a future update for --silent as well.

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

I like the new 1Password 7.4.741-BETA. This version is sometimes slightly faster than 7.3.
    I only think the UI of 7.3 looks better.

I only have a few minor issues with 7.4, for example Windows Hello does not always work and that the 1Password extension / 1Password mini does not always respond when you click on the extension in a web browser.

• Hi @Martijnn,

This version is sometimes slightly faster than 7.3.

Hmm, it should be faster for everyone, we're doing more with less resources. Are you using standalone vaults or using 1Password membership?

When you say sometimes slightly faster, can you clarify where where is it slightly faster in? Unlocking or is it 1Password mini showing up faster for an example?

I only think the UI of 7.3 looks better.

I liked the old titlebar style too, it takes up less vertical space but the custom titlebar was giving us troubles. By returning to the native title bar, we gain a lot more such as smoother resizing, system animation support and more.

We will continue to evolve the design as usual, we're seeing some signs that Microsoft is cooking up something in the near future that we could use.

I only have a few minor issues with 7.4, for example Windows Hello does not always work and that the 1Password extension / 1Password mini does not always respond when you click on the extension in a web browser.

How often do you see that and do you see any patterns? Does it happen often after waking up the computer or anything like that?

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member

@MikeT

When you say sometimes slightly faster, can you clarify where where is it slightly faster in? Unlocking or is it 1Password mini showing up faster for an example?

1Password 7.4 is slightly slower when locking, unlocking and opening the app.

How often do you see that and do you see any patterns? Does it happen often after waking up the computer or anything like that?

This happens at different times. But usually when I have locked 1Password shortly before.

I also see that 1Password is automatically closed when locked.

Can you please make it possible to turn this off in the settings?

• Hi @Martijnn,

1Password 7.4 is slightly slower when locking, unlocking and opening the app.

If it is very slight like less than a few seconds, that's to be expected for the moment as we're using a new lock system that terminates all previous processes in place when locking and it waits until it is done. We're looking into speeding this up a bit in future updates.

Can you please make it possible to turn this off in the settings?

We're terminating everything when locking now in 1Password 7.4, which means all UI windows as well. It is not technically possible anymore to keep the same window opened in order to improve our security model more effectively.

We have looked at creating a new window when locking but we decided against it as it produces a flash that looks as if the application has crashed and came back online with a white window before loading. If we can find a way to reduce that effect, we'll certainly try that in a future update.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Hi, I'm using 7.4.741 Beta 3, and have been experiencing a little bug in Firefox. Apologies if this has already been reported.

So, it happens when I click in a field I want to fill in on a website (for example, my login details on Ars Technica), I bring up 1Password mini with the keyboard shortcut, enter my password, but all my logins are shown, instead of the exact match I want for Ars Technica. To get the exact login match, I have to trigger 1Password mini again with the keyboard shortcut.

The bug always occurs when I use the keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Password mini, but doesn't occur when I use the browser extension. And it doesn't get triggered again until I lock, then reopen, 1Password mini. It also gets triggered when I use Windows Hello to open mini.

I wonder if you can reproduce this? Thank you, and I'm really looking forward to the finished 7.4 update - I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far :chuffed: .

• Hi @pbryanw,

Thanks for taking the time to report this, that has been mentioned but we haven't been able to reproduce it just yet.

I bring up 1Password mini with the keyboard shortcut, enter my password, but all my logins are shown, instead of the exact match I want for Ars Technica. To get the exact login match, I have to trigger 1Password mini again with the keyboard shortcut.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page; you're saying that every time you press Control + \, it does not fill anything on Ars but instead, it brings up 1Password mini with all of your Logins? I am not able to reproduce this with Firefox. Here's what I did:

1. Open Firefox, open ArsTechnica site and then click Sign in
    2. I then pressed "Control + \". Unlock if requested and it filled my data in a second.

Can you double check your 1Password shortcut settings, make sure it is set correctly? It sounds as if you've pressed Control + Alt + \ instead but it doesn't explain why it worked the second time.

Also, just in case, does it matter if you're in All Vaults or in the specific vault?

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Hi @MikeT,

Thanks for your help with this. Just to clarify (and apologies for not making this clearer in my OP), this happens when I use the "Show 1Password mini" shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + \ which I've remapped to Ctrl + Shift + , (but either remapping triggers the bug).

I'm also starting in my Personal Vault, but it doesn't matter if the Personal Vault or All Vaults is selected before 1Password mini is opened using the shortcut.

I think this video capture describes my issue better than any of my words can :+1:
    Hosted on my OneDrive space (let me know if you have any difficulties accessing it):
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArFVkgMSc1NUj_BoZ8OBw-OlbqPbyA?e=MxTvWV

Thanks, Paul

• I've got this reproduced, @pbryanw, thank you. Honest, I'm not sure what the expected behavior is. The "show 1Password mini" shortcut is generally used outside your browser, so it might be intended to show All Items at all times. The extension is technically the same mini, but behaves differently because it's reading the page and showing only matching items. My inclination would be to believe that Ctrl + Alt + \ (or whatever you've mapped it to) should always show All Items whereas Ctrl + \ (for use in browsers) would either fill if there's only one matching item or show mini if there are multiple allowing you to choose the item to fill. Regardless, though, something is wrong here as the shortcut is behaving the way I think it should at first and the way you think it should subsequently. It should be consistent either way. I'll have a chat with the team to confirm intended behavior and get an issue filed to get this fixed up. :+1:

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@bundtkate - Hi, I'm glad you were able to reproduce this. As you say, either way, the behaviour should be consistent. Thanks very much for your help, and hope there will be a solution for this :+1:

• Hi,

Unfortunately and also slightly good news is that both Kate and I are seeing inconsistent behaviors, I don't actually see anything like in your video nor what Kate see when testing. I did notice it sometime happens when I open several new browsers. This may be a edge case with our new process mechanism in 1Password 7.4 that we didn't see before.

By the way, in your video, if you look at the bottom of the 1Password mini, it says this:

That's why it shows All Items, 1Password doesn't see any sites. If it was connected to Ars, it would say something like this:

We're investigating and will share as we have more data.

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member

@MikeT

When can we expect a stable release of 1Password 7.4?

• @Martijnn,

When it is ready. We ship when the app is reasonably stable, we don't do ETAs here, and we especially don't rush our major releases.

Right now, there's a few major issues that need to be fixed before we even considering the stable release. We're working on the 7.4 beta 4 next, it has a lot of improvements already that should push us much closer to the stable candidate.

This discussion has been closed.