To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why add VAT on top of the subscription price ?

apb123
apb123
Community Member

I am struggling to understand the billing. I seem to be billed for the families subscription plus VAT on top. There is a very clear EU law that states companies need to be clear about whether VAT is included in the price.It is normal practice.to have VAT included in any price for a product. I live in the EU.

It seems unusually to add VAT to the cost of a subscriptions, especially when you haven't told the customer that you would do this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @apb123

I'm sorry for any unclear expectations. On our EU website, 1password.eu, we do make it clear that VAT is added on top of the prices. 1Password.com is geared more for US/CA customers, where the expectation and the norm is for prices to be tax exclusive. We don't show the price including tax on our marketing pages as we are very privacy sensitive and do not use our marketing pages to collect enough information about you to calculate what that tax would be.

Ben

• apb123
    apb123
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Well what about $59.88 + VAT. That would be clear and ensure that you had met your legal requirements.

Also I am in the UK. There is no 1password.co.uk, and if you type that in you are redirected to the 1password.com site. I have never visited the 1password.eu site, it would not even enter my head to visit that site to access 1password online. I would expect 1password.com, or 1password.co.uk

• We don't charge VAT in the US or Canada, as there is no such thing, and that is the audience 1Password.com is geared toward. As such I doubt we're going to put that on that site. I'll talk more with the team about how we can better let folks know about 1Password.eu. :) Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• apb123
    apb123
    Community Member

Don’t forget those folks in the UK are not in the EU anymore.

• Indeed; thanks for the reminder.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.