Installing 1Password on a new Lap Top

We are long term users of 1Password & already have the App installed on one W10 Lap Top and several Apple devises.
We have just purchased a new Lenovo W10 Lap Top and are struggling to install 1Password.
We have installed from both the Windowes App Store & the 1Password web site, which seems to revert to the App Store, & it states that it has installed but there is no mention in the Start \ Windows Programmes listings although it does appear in the Settings \ Apps\ Uninstall listing.
So we cannot find any way to run the App once installed??
After installation, the installation screens take us to MS Edge looking to install the Extension, the Extension Icon is displayed in MS Edge but does not respond.
We keep getting a message that 1Password needs installing although the screen clearly says it is already installed?
If we run install again we get a message that 'S mode only runs Microsoft - verified apps?
We also get a message that -' Store Experience Host ' is trying to open 'Microsoft Edge' -?
And round in circles we go.
We have uninstalled & tried again, but no change.
Can you please advise how we should proceed to install 1Password on the new Lap Top.
Many Thanks
Colin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Colin_Foster,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! Sorry for the confusion.

It sounds like your new laptop is running Windows 10 in S mode, a version of Windows 10 that allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

The thing is that 1Password extension that is available in the Microsoft Store is not a full app, but only an extension for the old version of Microsoft Edge. Microsoft has released a new version of Edge, based on Chromium, and it is already available for download here.

Could you please try to download and install this new version of Edge? Are you able to do that in Windows 10 S? Please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Colin_Foster
    Colin_Foster
    Community Member

Hi Greg
    Many thanks for your prompt useful response.
    The Lap Top is indeed in Windows 10 S Mode.
    I have not , as yet, tried downloading the new version of Edge, so unfortunately cannot answer your question. I am a bit nervous of getting in a muddle.
    Just looking to understand my options before taking action.
    My thought is to take W10 out of S mode which seems quite simple & so have the freedom to download the full 1Password App & to use 1Password with which ever browser I choose, I generally use FireFox. It would also seem to avoid having similar issues with other Apps I may wish to install.
    Are you aware of any other risks in coming out of S Mode, I realise that I will have a less protected version of W10 OS.
    I am assuming that once the lap top is out of S mode the full version of 1Password will automatically download from the link in your web site?
    Many thanks again for your help.
    Colin.

• We can't really opine on whether S mode is truly more secure, @Colin_Foster. That's genuinely a matter of personal opinion at the end of the day. At a basic level, S Mode restricts you to using apps that have been vetted by Microsoft in the Microsoft Store which could reasonably lead to the conclusion that you're gaining some security by running in S Mode, but how much you're gaining there really boils down to trust. If you trust Microsoft to properly vet apps more than you trust yourself to only install trustworthy apps, then S Mode is probably a net positive for you from a security standpoint. If, on the other hand, you feel you have adequate knowledge to only install trustworthy apps in the first place, then it's perhaps serving more to limit your options than anything else.

Personally, I would steer clear of S Mode, but that's based solely on my opinion that I am knowledgeable enough to make good choices about the apps I install and thus I see more value in being able to use my preferred apps for various tasks than I do in working exclusively from a vetted app store. It's worth noting that last I checked, swapping out of S Mode was something of a final choice. Windows 10 does not give you the option to switch back to S Mode without starting from scratch and installing Windows fresh. Personally, I install a fresh Windows frequently enough I'd not consider that a dealbreaker, but reinstalling Windows isn't exactly a fun experience and having to do so in order to swap back might reasonably give others pause. I don't mean for that to dissuade you from making the choice that best suits you, but it's worth being aware of and keeping in mind before you make your final decision. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.