1Password 7 is almost always hanging when trying to start on my work laptop.

Options
nlbarber
nlbarber
Community Member

This has happened repeatedly, am trying again to solve it. Uninstalled the app this morning, emptied the trash, reinstalled by downloading the installer from the 1Password site after logging in. The app appears, but when double-clicked it does not come up fully--this time the menu bar showed the icon but the spinning beachball was present if I hovered. Force Quit Applications showed the app as nonresponsive so I force-quit.

Restarted the Mac, then again tried to double-click the application with the same results (the mini also did not show up after the restart).

1Password 7 works fine on my personal iMac, 2 phones, and an iPad. The work laptop differences, possibly relevant, are that my user account does not have admin rights to install applications, so I have to authorize an admin account to complete the installation (and uninstallation).
On some previous attempts, I would occasionally be able to bring up the application but the mini would hang, or the Chrome extension would show but fail to operate, etc. Today no method seems to get 1Password working on this computer.

Side note: the automatic attempts to send a user to the application to get support, or information for a support question, aren't very good if the application isn't working at all. :(

1Password Version: n/a
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 hangs on mac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi @nlbarber! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please let us know what version of the 1Password app this is happening with?

Side note: the automatic attempts to send a user to the application to get support, or information for a support question, aren't very good if the application isn't working at all. :(

Can you clarify this? To get support, we have our support information online in our contact page and on our support webpage, you shouldn't be redirected to the application. Is this what was happening to you when you were looking for help?

• nlbarber
    nlbarber
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know, since it doesn't come up, but I installed it this morning from the 1Password site. Oh, wait, I can see it in the Chrome extensions info: 1.18.0

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nlbarber:

That is the extension version, which is different from the 1Password app, so let's take a closer look at why this is happening to you. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from this Mac and email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• nlbarber
    nlbarber
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, didn't you ask for the extension version? ("please let us know what version of the 1Password extension this is happening with") I do know the difference....

Will run the diagnostic report and email it shortly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nlbarber:

Ah yes, sorry! Force of habit! I meant the 1Password app. I will edit my post for clarification :)

• nlbarber
    nlbarber
    Community Member
    Options

The support ticket generated by sending the diagnostic report is #LMX-44652-814. I'm afraid the email went from a different address than used here.

Can you clarify this? To get support, we have our support information online in our contact page and on our support webpage, you shouldn't be redirected to the application. Is this what was happening to you when you were looking for help?

Hmm...not sure I can remember exactly, but I think I was on a 1Password web page, logged in, and clicked on some form of get support. It switched out to the Finder where the application tried again unsuccessfully to start. After that I came over to the support forum, created an account, and posted.

• @nlbarber

I was able to locate your report, someone will get back to as soon as possible.

ref: #LMX-44652-814

This discussion has been closed.