Using 1Password on a Chromebook

This discussion was created from comments split from: Purchase of application through Google play store.

Comments

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Hi Ben.
    I want to use 1 PW on a Chromebook.
    I have an account and also use local/standalone vaults all on Mac OS with the extension. Everything here works superbly.

I downloaded the (Android) app from the Google store and I am presented several options:
    1PW.com, Dropbox, WLAN server, Local Storage.

I want to use the offline local vaults as well as the personal vaults, but mainly the local vaults.

Can I “restore” my data by WLAN sync and/or folder sync OPvaults in this case if I choose the 1PW.com option, after authenticating?

Or should I/ can I restore a full back up here? (I have full back ups from Mac on a flash drive).

Will I be able to transfer OPvaults (from Mac OS) here?

After setting up, will I be able to WLAN sync from Chromebook to iOS?

Will autofill work if I use the app rather than 1 PWX?

Basically will I get the same or similar functionality and support and updates (as I have an account) on a Chromebook as I do on a Mac?

Thanks

• Hi @1pwuser31547.

With 1Password for Android, it's possible to sync a single standalone vault, and use an account with as many vaults as you like. So on your Chromebook, as long as you have 1Password for Android installed, you can sync your standalone vault from the welcome screen using any supported sync method. Keep in mind that you'll need to sync the standalone vault before signing into any accounts, as the option won't be there once you're signed in. You mentioned that you're using multiple standalone vaults, but 1Password for Android only supports a single one.

As to filling, I'd recommend using both 1Password X and Autofill, and that way you'll be able to fill in places where Autofill isn't supported. Make sure to enable Autofill in 1Password's settings. Let me know how it goes!

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Thanks.
    @peri “Keep in mind that you'll need to sync the standalone vault before signing into any accounts, as the option won't be there once you're signed in.”

So going forward after syncing the vault and then signing in to the account , I would still be able to folder sync an OPVault to a flash drive, right?
    If not, would I be able to WLAN sync the local vault to a Mac or iOS device?

I assume the OPVaults are compatible across all major operating systems.

@peri “As to filling, I'd recommend using both 1Password X and Autofill, and that way you'll be able to fill in places where Autofill isn't supported.”

Is autofill of the local vault supported in the absence of 1 password X?
    I thought 1 password X was only for personal vaults (in an account).

I’m new to the Chromebook experience.
    I’ve always been a Mac user but after researching I’ve become very impressed with the security features of Chrome OS.

Thanks

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Peri,
    To follow up, which master password will unlock the app, the local vault or the account password?

As a possible workaround for only 1 local vault, since I have more than one gmail account, couldn’t I create multiple profiles on the Chromebook, download the app for each one and create a local vault for each?

Would this strategy work while signing in to the 1PW account on each profile as well? (I would want to sign into the 1 pw account in each gmail profile in order have the regular updates, enhancements etc).

Thanks

• @1pwuser31547

So going forward after syncing the vault and then signing in to the account , I would still be able to folder sync an OPVault to a flash drive, right?

Indeed! If you want to use a standalone vault in 1Password for Android, you will need to sync it first, before signing into your account. You will indeed be able to sync vault in local storage. However, syncing directly to a flash drive may not work. If you have trouble, copy the entire 1Password.opvault folder from your flash drive into your Chromebook's local storage before syncing.

If not, would I be able to WLAN sync the local vault to a Mac or iOS device?

You can indeed sync via the WLAN server with your Mac if you like.

I assume the OPVaults are compatible across all major operating systems.

Yes. The OPVault format is supported by 1Password for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.

Is autofill of the local vault supported in the absence of 1 password X?
    I thought 1 password X was only for personal vaults (in an account).

1Password for Android supports filling, regardless of whether you're using a standalone vault or account. Just enable Autofill and Accessibility to fill in apps and browsers.

1Password X does indeed only work with 1Password accounts. If you have both an account and standalone vault, you'll be able to use 1Password X for filling items in your 1Password account. So if you like, feel free to install it alongside 1Password for Android.

To follow up, which master password will unlock the app, the local vault or the account password?

Whichever you set up first will unlock the app. On Android, since you have to add your standalone vault first, this means that you'll use the Master Password for your standalone vault to unlock the app after setting up 1Password. If you were to delete the standalone vault at any point, you'd use the account's Master Password afterward.

As a possible workaround for only 1 local vault, since I have more than one gmail account, couldn’t I create multiple profiles on the Chromebook, download the app for each one and create a local vault for each?

Indeed. If you install 1Password separately for each user profile on your device, you'd be able to set it up with a different vault in each profile.

Would this strategy work while signing in to the 1PW account on each profile as well? (I would want to sign into the 1 pw account in each gmail profile in order have the regular updates, enhancements etc).

Are you asking if you can sign into your account from 1Password on multiple profiles? if so, you can indeed. 1Password doesn't limit the number of devices you can sign in from, so you'll be all set there.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Thank you Peri.
    Also, is there any data (backup, local caches) stored on the Chromebook or does all the data of the local vault reside solely within the app?
    As I understand it, on a Mac there are local caches that are zipped up to make a backup.

If not, then I assume if the app malfunctions, etc then local vault data is lost. (No problem since I will create many backups and copies of OPVault files )

I didn’t see automatic backups (only manual) of local vaults as a possibility as it is like on Mac on the Android 1PW information page. I assume this is correct.

Finally, I assume that information for 1PW for Android apply equally for Android apps on mobile devices and Chromebooks.
    (Obviously this is not the case for Mac and iOS. I’m a Mac user so I’m not as familiar with Android/ Google ecosystem.)

Thanks again.

• You're very welcome, @1pwuser31547.

With 1Password for Android, your data is cached locally, but this isn't something you can recover from. In other words, it's not same automatic backups you're used to seeing on Mac. But let me explain, as there's some nuance to this.

First, with your 1Password. account, your data is automatically backed up to our servers and cached locally. So if, for instance you delete an item or make an accidental change to an item, you can recover the previous version of that item from the item's history. If our servers are ever down, or if you don't have an internet connection, you'll still be able to access your data as it's cached locally.

For the standalone vault, we don't make automatic backups. However, if you're syncing, your data is saved in its sync location. That is, if you're using local storage sync, your data will be saved in the 1Password.opvault folder in local storage. If somehow 1Password is uninstalled and erased, you'll still have that separate 1Password.opvault with your data in it.

You can also create a manual backup of your OPVault folder on Android, by tapping Settings > Advanced > Export Primary vault. This will create a copy of your vault as it exists at the time in local storage. It's redundant if you're syncing with local storage, but helpful if you're using WLAN sync or encounter any sync errors.

Finally, I assume that information for 1PW for Android apply equally for Android apps on mobile devices and Chromebooks.

This is true for the most part. However, Chrome OS is a separate platform from Android, and while Chrome OS supports installing Android apps, there are some differences in the operating systems. For instance, you won't be able to use Fingerprint Unlock to unlock 1Password on your Chromebook like you can on an Android device. But mostly, it will work the same.

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Thanks for all the advice.

• @1pwuser31547 You're very welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.