Is there a trick to changing passwords quickly? I need to change close to 300 ASAP.

DavidL7
DavidL7
Community Member

There's a strong possibility that my passwords were compromised so I'd like to change them all. The prospect of going through the workflow for hundreds of passwords is daunting to say the least.
How does anyone else do it? Is there a better workflow than what I've been going back and forth between 1Password and whatever the next account is?

1Password Version: 7.4.4.BETA-0 (70404000)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a trick to changing passwords quickly? I need to change close to 300.

Comments

• DavidL7
    DavidL7
    Community Member

This thread is very similar with an automation component which could be very beneficial for complete vault password resets. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94909/semi-bulk-updating-unsecured-websites-on-mac/ . I'd need to use the CLI tool which I think I can muddle through to get the data out but are there are any resources that can shed light on the other operations?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DavidL7! Welcome to the forum!

Is there a better workflow than what I've been going back and forth between 1Password and whatever the next account is?

You can make the process quicker by using the 1Password browser extension to generate a new password for you, instead of switching back and forth between your browser and your 1Password desktop app. But you would still have to do this for every account you want to update, that is correct.

I'd need to use the CLI tool which I think I can muddle through to get the data out but are there are any resources that can shed light on the other operations?

Can you please clarify what you mean by "other operations"?

• DavidL7
    DavidL7
    Community Member

Thanks for replying. I use the extension for generating passwords now. It’s the “other” operations like switching back and forth between 1P and the site of the account I’m changing also I was wondering if there was a resource for coding help. I’d like to create an automated workflow if possible. Basically anything that CLI can’t do.

• felix_1p
    felix_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @DavidL7, I just wanted to follow up here.

It’s the “other” operations like switching back and forth between 1P and the site of the account I’m changing

I don't think there is a way to simplify this, unfortunately. Since every website has their own way of managing this information, you will have to go to every website and update your password there.

also I was wondering if there was a resource for coding help. I’d like to create an automated workflow if possible. Basically anything that CLI can’t do.

You mean information about writing shell scripts in general? Or how to solve common problems with the CLI?

This discussion has been closed.