Feature Request: Share field via QR code

smaersh
smaersh
Community Member

Sometimes I need to share an entry with someone that does not have or want 1Password, and I don't want the text recorded to someone else's servers by sending it through email/sms. Everyone has a QR scanner these days, so it's a no-brainer to be able to share via QR. Some examples:

• Wifi Password (I change mine frequently)
  • Child's app store password
  • A link to that really cool store I like to share with everyone
  • Directions to my house for the after-party
  • Rick-roll your buddies

I want to be able to share a specific field like the password and not the username, or notes but not password. Should also be able to share the entire entry and all fields (already exists), and be able to share QR code from a watch. For now, there's an iOS Shortcut that I use:

• Accepts - your preferences
  • +Documents > Generate QR Code from Clipboard (as anything)
  • +Documents > Show QR Code (as image) in Quick Look
  • +Sharing > Copy Current Date to clipboard > Expire at Current Date
  • Options (three dots) Show in Share Sheet

I use it for more than just 1Password, so I just copy whatever the content is to my clipboard then run the shortcut. The QR code stays on the screen until it is dismissed, and at that moment it clears the clipboard by copying the current date and setting the content to expire immediately.

1Password Version: 7.4.5 (70405003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smaersh!

Sometimes I need to share an entry with someone that does not have or want 1Password, and I don't want the text recorded to someone else's servers by sending it through email/sms. Everyone has a QR scanner these days, so it's a no-brainer to be able to share via QR.

If I understood correctly, what you are suggesting would only work when you want to share something in the same room as you, correct?

• smaersh
    smaersh
    Community Member

Correct, it would be a completely offline interaction, face to face.
    I guess I could screenshot the result and distribute it, but the goal here is to share data over an airgap.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @smaersh. :) Right now our efforts on sharing are focused on our 1Password.com membership service, but I'll pass the idea along for future consideration.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.