Password Generation Feature Request

cswannack
cswannack
Community Member

1) Have the option (on the Windows or Macintosh desktop application) to generate a password without having to actually log into the 1Password application as currently required. I doesn't seem like that much of a security risk to be able to have this feature always available.

2) Have the option to generate a password when using the iOS 1Password application. An example: when you are registering for the 1st time a application/service/website on iOS, there does not seem to be a way to generate a password that can be utilized for that 1st registration of the application. Why not add the generate "password" icon (that is used within 1Password Windows/Macintosh) application to the existing 4 icons at the bottom of the home screen on the iOS application.

1Password Version: 7.5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cswannack!

1) Have the option (on the Windows or Macintosh desktop application) to generate a password without having to actually log into the 1Password application as currently required. I doesn't seem like that much of a security risk to be able to have this feature always available.

I don't think this is possible, because then we would not be able to save that password in your 1Password app, since the app would not be able to encrypt your information.

Can you however elaborate on point 2) a little bit? You could switch to 1Password when you are signing up for a new website, generate a password there, and paste it into the service you are signing up in. At least that is what I do; are you looking for something different?

• cswannack
    cswannack
    Community Member

Further explanation on item #2

Yes, you could switch to the iOS 1Password app and create a new entry to generate a password value that you can copy/paste and enter back into the website user registration.

However when you switch back to website to paste the password and complete the user registration, a new entry will be created in the 1Password application that contains the website URL along with user and password credential. (this is expected behavior)...however in the suggested scenario...once you have saved the website registration information, you have have to perform a 2nd step and find the blank entry in 1Password that has the password that you copy/pasted and delete this blank entry to get everything all cleaned up.

The user request is to not have to perform this 2-step process, but to just have an capability within the iOS to quickly access the password generator.

• Thanks @cswannack. We'll continue to look for ways in which we can make the process more convenient. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.