New Installation-Setup Failure

ScottDHome
ScottDHome
Community Member

Please, I'm having trouble re-installing 1Password on my MacBook Pro.
I downloaded the 1password software several days ago, created a Master Key, and tried it. I then uninstalled (by removing the app from the "Applications" folder) and chose to try again.
Today, I downloaded the 1Password app again and when trying to install it, the setup requested my Master Key, I entered the NEW Master Key but the setup keeps rejecting it. Is the old/original Master Key still in memory somewhere? Why is the new download rejecting my new Master Key?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ScottDHome! Welcome to the forum!

Today, I downloaded the 1Password app again and when trying to install it, the setup requested my Master Key, I entered the NEW Master

Why is the new download rejecting my new Master Key?

Can you please clarify what you mean by "new Master Key"? The Master Password is the one you used to create your account the first time. If you created 1Password account and re-installed the app, your login credentials are not changing and are still the same as the time you created account.

• ScottDHome
    ScottDHome
    Community Member

Thank you for responding, sincerely appreciated!!
    The "Master Key" I'm referring to is the master "password" requested of me during the setup procedure for 1Password. Is that helpful enough?

• ScottDHome
    ScottDHome
    Community Member

Also, when I installed 1Password the second time, I created a master key/password that is different than the first setup. So, when trying to continue the setup during the second installation... it will not let me proceed and stops when I enter the new master key..

• ScottDHome
    ScottDHome
    Community Member

Thank you for responding, sincerely appreciated!!
    The "Master Key" I'm referring to is the master "password" requested of me during the setup procedure for 1Password. Is that helpful enough?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ScottDHome:

Thank you for the clarification! I confirm that the Master Password will have remained the same even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app. In your case, there would be no "new" Master Password: you need to use the same one that you chose when you downloaded the 1Password app the first time.

• ScottDHome
    ScottDHome
    Community Member

Thank you again! So, if I understand you correctly: the old Master Key will be retained even if I delete the app installation, reinstall it and select a new Master key? That is a problem because the old Master key was far too difficult to Remember. That is why I replaced it. Is there any way to absolutely start from scratch?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ScottDHome:

If you want to completely delete the app, please follow these instructions. Afterwards, you will be able to login with your new credentials ;)

• ScottDHome
    ScottDHome
    Community Member

THANK YOU!! I was able to reset the Master Key... Sincerely appreciated!!

• On behalf of Ana you're most welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.