Vault in business account that can be accessed by personal account

I am looking into setting up 1password, for both my personal passwords, as well as at my work. I would like to have access to certain business passwords from my personal account, with the option to possibly revoke that access in the future. I am reading about the option to create guest accounts on your Teams or Business account, but I am wondering if that guest account could be the same account as the one which I am using for my personal use, or if I would need two accounts. Or perhaps there is another way to do this, which would be better.

Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @avocadofriend

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I would like to have access to certain business passwords from my personal account, with the option to possibly revoke that access in the future.

The only way to revoke access to a secret is to change it, but if you're revoking access from yourself that may not be necessary.

I am reading about the option to create guest accounts on your Teams or Business account, but I am wondering if that guest account could be the same account as the one which I am using for my personal use, or if I would need two accounts.

A guest account might work if all of the items you need access to are in one vault, and there aren't any items you don't want to have access to in that vault. You'd end up with three accounts total: your personal account, and then two accounts within the business membership (one guest and one team member).

Or perhaps there is another way to do this, which would be better.

Would you mind explaining a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish? Is the desire to have the full set of business data on work devices, and then on personal devices have personal data and a sub-set of the business data? If so the only way I'm aware of doing that would be through a guest account or secondary team member account within the business membership that you'd use on the personal devices.

Please let me know.

Ben

• avocadofriend
    avocadofriend
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Is the desire to have the full set of business data on work devices, and then on personal devices have personal data and a sub-set of the business data?

This is essentially what I want. My plan was to be logged into my work account on firefox, which I currently use for sensitive business tasks like taxes and banking. And then on chrome I would be logged into my personal account, which I use for personal things and less sensitive business tasks like email and website administration. I would like to be able to access certain work passwords from my personal account, in case I need to log into my work email at home, or check something on the website during the weekend, from my phone. But I don't want to put my whole personal account into the account that the company is paying for, in case I decide to leave someday, and also in the interest of fairness, since the company shouldn't have to pay for my personal account.

• Thanks @avocadofriend. Yes, I think in that case the solution discussed above would be the best route. :+1: Also I would agree that storing personal data in the business-owned membership is less than ideal.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.