What is causing my Safari 1password extension to disable itself in Mac osx Catalina?

Options
jdimarti
jdimarti
Community Member

I have installed the 1password safari extension but it will often disable itself. I have gone through and repaired permissions and also have verified the I am no longer on the legacy version and have redownloaded the 1password extension from the Mac App Store but the issues continue. The only way to resolve the issue is to restart the computer, but the issues will then persist after a short period of time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:extensions in safari

Comments

• Hey @jdimarti,

When it comes to 1Password 7 for Mac, the 1Password extension is actually built right into the app. So if you're downloading something separately from the Mac App Store, there may be something else going on there. Be sure that you've got only the official 1Password extension listed in Safari's preferences, and that the version matches your version of 1Password for Mac.

Rebooting your device actually does help in some cases, such as after a large update to 1Password for Mac, but it shouldn't be needed regularly. Just to ask, are you seeing this issue pop up in any other web browsers? Or is this limited to Safari?

• jdimarti
    jdimarti
    Community Member
    Options

All of the thing you listed are reflected in my current orientation. Additionally it has only been tested in safari as of this moment. I will add it to chrome as well and keep any eye on if the behavior repeats.

• jdimarti
    jdimarti
    Community Member
    Options

The issue has already occured within safari but has not within chrome

• pcallies
    pcallies
    Community Member
    Options

I also see this problem on a Mac running Mojave where the extension just disappears from Safari. I've gotten it back in the past by rebooting, but last weekend I had to go through a full uninstall of 1Password (i.e. follow the Support instructions to delete every magical file 1Password installs in a bunch of different locations) and then reinstall 1Password.

There's definitely something weird going on with the Safari extension, but I haven't been able to determine the cause.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdimarti, @pcallies:

What version of 1Password are you currently running, and on what Safari version and macOS version?

• jdimarti
    jdimarti
    Community Member
    Options

The current version of 1 password is 7.4.1. The current version of OSX is 10.15.2. The version of safari is 13.0.4.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdimarti:

Out of curiosity, the next time this happens, instead of rebooting can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

Do you see the 1Password extension appear in the Safari Preferences if you doo this?

• Dane Bendixen
    Dane Bendixen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same thing but with Safari and Chrome. I have 1P7 installed on three personal computers that only I use. I have two work MBPs and a personal iMac. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why the app is somehow unlinking from the browser extensions.

@ag_ana quitting 1P completely and reopening it (without closing my browser) did fix the issue. That's a quick workaround for the time being. That said, this has happened probably 5+ times to me in the last week.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @Dane Bendixen! Our developers are investigating an issue with extensions that appeared in the latest version of 1Password on Catalina, so I think this is related to what you are seeing. I am happy that the workaround helped though!

• autumnmist
    autumnmist
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same thing on Catalina. Completely quitting 1P (without closing Safari) does seem to fix the issue thus far, but it's happening multiple times every day, for the last ~3(?) days

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Do you have any other extensions in Safari? If so, does this happen with them as well?

Ben

• autumnmist
    autumnmist
    Community Member
    Options

I run AdGuard's extensions and this doesn't seem to happen to them. For me, the 1PW extension remains checked in Safari, but clicking on the button doesn't do anything (not even the popup saying it's disabled). If I click on the 1PW mini button in the OS menubar, then I do see the message telling me that the 1PW extension is disabled and I need to enable it in Extension Preferences.

• alexkwright
    alexkwright
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all - I'm having a similar issue. I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 with the 1Password 7 app from the App Store, running Version 7.4.4 (70404001).

What's happening is that once I log in by using the keyboard shortcut (CMD+), it says that I need to download the browser extension. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the browser extension for Brave, Chrome, and Firefox, and I am getting the same thing.

I can login using the extension (really, just using the app), but then it's not populating the browser extension at all - only prompting me to download the extension. Screenshots added for the flow of what's happening.

• autumnmist
    autumnmist
    Community Member
    Options

Thought of one other useful bit. I have a work computer and home computer, both running the current builds of 1PW and Mac OS. I'm only having this problem on my home computer, i.e. when I get home, open the home laptop up and it wakes from sleep, try to visit some webpage and 1PW extension is disabled.

• alexkwright
    alexkwright
    Community Member
    Options

Probably related to my issue - but if I click on the extension icon, even though I have the app installed on my Mac, I get a screen that tells me it's trying to connect to my app, but can't find it. I get this error.

• alexkwright
    alexkwright
    Community Member
    Options

So...apparently I didn't try the last thing on the recommended list of what to do when the extension doesn't work. I performed the three steps:
    1. Uninstall the extension
    2. Reinstall the extension
    3. Restart my computer

And it works fine now. πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
    I could have sworn that I did that and it temporarily solved it. If I have persisting issues, I'll post back.

Hopefully other's issues are equally as easy to solve.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @alexkwright. Glad to hear it seems to be resolved. Please do let us know if the issue reoccurs.

We are looking into some issues related to Safari. For now, if people are experiencing issues (with Safari), I'd recommend the following:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely β€” ⌘βŒ₯βŒƒQ (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :) If you're having difficulties with a different browser, please shoot us an email for help.

Thanks.

Ben

• viskwal
    viskwal
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    I just tried all the steps you outlined, but still the safari extension won't work (it is enabled), also the menu bar icon does not work when Safari is the front application.

Is there a way to downgrade 1password to a previous version ?

• @viskwal

I answered a similar post of yours in another thread. Please see that reply, if you haven't done so. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.