1Password addon not connecting to app on Edge Chromium

kop48
kop48
Community Member

Is it expected that the addon fails to connect to 1Password when using the Chrome extension on the new Edge browser?

Edge Version 80.0.361.33 (Official build) Beta (64-bit)

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.2 (19C57)
Sync Type: 1Password Online

Comments

• @kop48,

If you're running 1Password for Mac 7.3.2, then yes. Edge support is only available in the Beta channel at this time, and requires copying the Chrome NativeMessageHosts json file into the corresponding path for Edge.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

Edge support is only available in the Beta channel at this time, and requires copying the Chrome NativeMessageHosts json file into the corresponding path for Edge.

@rudy - do you mind describing the set of steps that I need to follow? I have the Beta, but I couldn't find the steps for NativeMessageHosts on the forum...

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

Ok, found how to do it, but now the extension icon just stays dimmed and doesn't actually fill in anything:

user@mac NativeMessagingHosts % pwd
    /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts
    NativeMessagingHosts % cp 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft\ Edge\ Beta/NativeMessagingHosts

• @kop48,

Copying the file is only necessary if you're wanting to use the beta/canary versions of Edgium.

Are you using the beta version of 1Password 7, or the release version? While the release version supports the released version of Edge, it does not support the beta versions.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I have the beta versions of both Edgium and 1Password

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kop84:

I have the beta versions of both Edgium and 1Password

Can you please confirm the exact version of the 1Password app that you have installed? In our first post you wrote that you are running 7.3.2, which is not the stable version. Have you updated it recently?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@ag_ana here's the version that I'm running:

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7#v70403002

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@kop48

7.4.3 is the current stable release. Based upon your topic you want to run the beta builds, can you update > 7.4.5-0. The current beta.

You may need to enable the betas in the updates tab.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@ag_ana - weird, I have! I'm guessing that this is doing nothing if I use the Store version of the app :)

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Ok, installed from the website instead of the Store version, and am now getting the right beta build. It's also working correctly with Edge, tho the extension icon is still greyed out.

1Password 7
    Version 7.4.4.BETA-0 (70404000)
    1Password Beta

• @kop48

Right click the icon > Settings

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@ag_tommy that looks like it's for 1PasswordX? I don't see this on either of the extension menu, nor in the main app

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@kop48

You are correct and my apologies to you. The native messaging host through me, I was thinking you were looking to accomplish something different with desktop integration.

The icon color is all that is available in the companion app extension.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

No worries. I'm wondering if it's a bug - it doesn't show up dark like that in other browsers.

• It's not exactly a bug, @kop48, but more a Chrome quirk I suspect has been carried over to Edgium. Chrome doesn't invert extension icons quite like Firefox does so it makes them look like they're disabled when really they're just not inverting for the dark theme and are still a-okay. I see the same almost invisible icon in Brave on Windows, another Chromium-based browser. I suspect this is probably an issue across a number of them. Nothing we can do about it, sadly, but it should still work even though it looks a bit awkward.

This discussion has been closed.