Sign in

mhunt004
mhunt004
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years only on my phone (always I Phones). I have always been able to access the app by putting in my email address and password. However, today the app disappeared from my phone so I downloaded it from icloud. However, now when I try to go into it I am asked to put in a Sign-in address, Email address, Secret Key and and Master Password. I have never been asked this before and not sure what to do to be able to access the app. Please help....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @mhunt004

A Secret Key is part of our membership offerings, if you are a long time user it is possible you don't have a membership. Can you let me know where you have your data synced, such as iCloud or Dropbox?

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

I think it is ICloud,but I am not very smart when it comes to stuff like this. I only know the basics.

• @mhunt004

In that case, instead of selecting the 1Password.com option from the welcome screen, please scroll down and select iCloud. Does that work as expected?

Please let us know.

Ben

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

It says "No vaults were found in iCloud".

• @mhunt004

Do you have any other devices setup, that you can check your configuration with?

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

No, I have only used it on the IPhone

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mhunt004:

Do you remember ever setting up sync for your 1Password data? Is it possible you might have stored it in Dropbox instead?

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

No, I don't recall that. I don't believe I did anything like that. I just downloaded the app (it was free at the time) and started using it. I didn't do anything else. I have been using it for years.

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

I do really appreciate everyone's help. And, I know it has to be frustrating trying to help me, but I really bad with stuff like this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mhunt004:

If you did not sync your data anywhere, then you won't be able to restore it from the cloud. Without sync enabled, did you perhaps make a backup or an export of your 1Password data at any time during these years that you have been using 1Password, at least one?

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

I pay for storage for my phone, would it automatically backup somewhere or is this something that I would have done manually?

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

I thought it was backed up in the iCloud because when the app disappeared from the phone, I went back into the app store and it said I could download from the iCloud, so that is what I did, but when I try to log in it shows me "Sign Up" or already using 1Password? The options there are 1Password.com, iCloud, Dropbox, WYLAN Server. I thought it would be 1Password.com and it asks for sign-in address, email address, secret key and master password. I assumed the sign-in and email address were the same and I know my master password, but I don't ever remember having a secret key.

• @mhunt004

I pay for storage for my phone, would it automatically backup somewhere or is this something that I would have done manually?

It would happen automatically once set up, but would have to manually be set up.

I thought it was backed up in the iCloud because when the app disappeared from the phone, I went back into the app store and it said I could download from the iCloud, so that is what I did, but when I try to log in it shows me "Sign Up" or already using 1Password?

Those two things aren't really correlated. Everybody that downloads 1Password for an iOS device does so through the App Store, but not everybody syncs their data with iCloud.

The options there are 1Password.com, iCloud, Dropbox, WYLAN Server. I thought it would be 1Password.com and it asks for sign-in address, email address, secret key and master password. I assumed the sign-in and email address were the same and I know my master password, but I don't ever remember having a secret key.

You'd only select 1Password.com there if you have a 1Password subscription membership. Otherwise we do not store your data, and it is up to you to sync your data with a 3rd party (Dropbox or iCloud) if desired. If you did not set up syncing through one of those providers then your data would've only been stored on your phone. Removing the app from the phone also removes the data.

I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging news. Going forward you may want to consider a 1Password membership so that your data is automatically backed up offsite.

About 1Password membership

Ben

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate your time.

• You're very welcome @mhunt004. If there is anything else we can do please let me know.

Ben

• mhunt004
    mhunt004
    Community Member

No, there is not. My firm offers 1Password so I am going to go through the registration process. I didn't in the pass because I have used it for so many years prior to them offering it. Thanks again!!

• Happy to help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.