Add existing vault from Dropbox to 1Password

This discussion was created from comments split from: adding an existing vault shared via Dropbox.

Comments

• silvermoonbeam
    silvermoonbeam
    Community Member

I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing, that is, add an already existing second vault in Dropbox to 1Password on a second computer. The knowledgebase article given above speaks to setting up Dropbox sync. My second computer syncs my main vault just fine, but there's no way I can see to add a second vault created on another computer. "New Vault" under the 1Password menu assumes one wishes to create a new vault. In 1Password Preferences>Sync I would expect to see a plus symbol "+" in the left sidebar labeled "Vaults" (plural), but there isn't one. My main vault is there, of course, but how to add one is the question. And Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts is already checked under Preferences>Advanced.

I'm using 1Password 6.7.1. I've used 1Password since v. 3 and thought I knew my way around pretty well, but I'm stymied.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @silvermoonbeam,

Your question is different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

If you have a sync file in Dropbox for your secondary vault (.agilekeychain or .opvault), and if "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" is enabled in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced, all you need to do is find that sync file within the local Dropbox folder on your Mac and double-click on it. 1Password will prompt you to create a new vault (if 1Password is locked, you'll need to enter the master password for your Primary vault first).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• Bonnie_Bootleg
    Bonnie_Bootleg
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG I've tried double clicking but no luck :(

Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Bonnie_Bootleg - Sorry to hear that didn't work for you. To be clear: you double clicked a .agilekeychain or .opvault file in Dropbox on your Mac (not in a browser), and you've already gone to 1Password's Preferences > Advanced tab and clicked the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts?"

• mkman
    mkman
    Community Member

Having the same issue, but i have upgraded to 1PW 7 where the agilekeychain is no longer supported... How do i add my agilekeychain vault that is stored in dropbox to my newly installed 1pw 7??

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mkman - sorry for the trouble. The way you'll need to add a legacy Agile Keychain vault is by using the File > Import command and choosing the top option ("1Password Keychain"):

Choose the vault you want to import the old Agile Keychain into, then click "Choose File," navigate to the proper Agile Keychain file in 1Password and proceed with the import. You'll need to make sure other devices are not still linking to the old Agile Keychain, or you'll start getting discrepancies in your data. After the import, if you choose to sync via Dropbox once more, the default is to write out a new OPVault; make sure you switch all your devices over to the new keychain.

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

I just tried the steps mentioned by @Lars but unfortunately my Opvault is grayed out. Can anyone help me with this?

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@jankeesvw

From your screenshot, it looks like you are trying to move the opvault directly into the Private vault, that will not work.

You will need to use the vault migration. https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
    To accomplish this, you would need:
    1. 1Password setup and already using the Primary vault. (old setup)
    2. Add your membership account and go through the migration. (linked above)
    3. Please do not forget the portion about removing your old Primary vault, as this will ensure you have no problems going forward. It is crucial to finish the entire process.

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

Maybe I want to do something that is not support anymore. We have had an .opvault file in a shared Dropbox folder for years and we used to have it both in our 1password app syncing, but that stopped working. Is this way of working not supported anymore?

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@jankeesvw

Yes, it (Dropbox sync) is still supported. It appears you are trying to merge the opvault with another vault. Can you tell us more about what it is you're looking to do so that we can help you? Is this a new install or a re-setup of a device? I wouldn't want to merge a vault unless it's needed, which is a possibility given your comments.

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy,

I didn't see your reply yet, sorry for the late reply.

I'm trying to add this externally stored Opvault in my 1Password app (I also pay for 1Password families btw). I'm not trying to merge it.

• I think that's part of the confusion @jankeesvw. What would be the purpose of syncing a with a vault on Dropbox if you have 1Password Families? The better solution would be to import that vault to 1Password Families. I would recommend creating a vault in your 1Password Families membership to import this vault into and then use the File > Import menu to import the contents.

Syncing with Dropbox is supported. Sharing 1Password data through Dropbox is not.

Ben

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

I use 1password for families for myself and my spouse.

This opvault contains some shared credentials that I share with someone at work.

Is that workflow supported?

• @jankeesvw

Sharing a 1Password vault via Dropbox is not supported. For sharing with colleagues at work we'd recommend either 1Password Teams or 1Password Business. The latter includes a 1Password Families membership for each person in the business membership.

I'd recommend reaching out to our business team at business@1password.com with the details of your situation for any specific recommendation. They'd be in the best position to point you in the right direction. :+1:

Ben

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

Can I import this Opvault into my personal account then? I rather not pay an additional monthly fee.

• You can, yes. I outlined the steps in my post above. I would suggest though that if you have a need to share credentials with colleagues that is something your company might consider providing a secure solution for. :)

Ben

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

When I try to import it the OPVault is unfortunately greyed out:

What can I do to change this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jankeesvw:

What option did you choose from the Import menu?

• jankeesvw
    jankeesvw
    Community Member

I tried several, which one should I pick?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jankeesvw - I'm sorry for the confusion. My post referred to the older style of sync keychain, called Agile Keychain. As ag_tommy mentioned in this reply, there's no direct import for OPVaults. If you want to migrate the data in that older OPVault into your 1Password Families account, these are the steps I'd take:

1. If you do not have any standalone vaults (that are not part of your 1Password Families account), you'll need to turn this option on: go to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will require you (temporarily) to create a new Master Password. I suggest using the same one you use for your 1Password Families account, just for ease of memory.
    2. This will create a new Primary vault that's only on your Mac; click 1Password > Preferences > Sync and set the drop-down menu for this Primary vault to sync with Folder.
    3. You'll be asked to chose a keychain - navigate to the OPVault you want to import, then choose to complete the sync setup. Give everything a minute or two to sync.
    4. Follow these instructions to migrate your data from the Primary vault over to your vault of choice in your 1Password Families account.
    5. When you're sure everything's been migrated over successfully, return to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove the now-empty Primary vault, leaving you running only your 1Password Families account, just as before.

Let us know how that works for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.