1Password Mini and browser extension not working in Safari

IanGB
IanGB
Community Member

After a recent update to 1Password through the AppStore, 1Password mini and the browser extension has stopped working.

• The 1Password Mini in the menu bar works when Safari is not in the foreground, but it nothing happens when clicking on it when Safari is in the foreground.
  • The Safari Toolbar doesn't work.
  • The 1Password right-click menu item doesn't work in Safari.

I have checked that 1Password is enabled in the Extensions preference pane in Safari. I have checked that 1Password Extension Helper is running through the preferences in 1Password. I have quit Safari and also restarted. Nothing has worked.

It is working fine in Chrome (Chrome version is 4.7.5.90)

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 7.4.2
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password subscription

Comments

• IanGB
    IanGB
    Community Member

PS. That's Chrome version of the 1Password extension is 4.7.5.90.

• IanGB
    IanGB
    Community Member

Anybody able to assist with this?

• IanGB
    IanGB
    Community Member

It would be appreciated if somebody from AgileBits could respond please.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

Try updating to the latest version from the Mac App Store. 7.4.4

It sounds as if the mini process is running in the menubar, prohibiting the update, or possibly the Safari extension which is now part of the 1Password app is preventing the update.

1. Quit Safari, completely. (Right click the Dock icon and then chose Quit)
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely using ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
      • You do not have to unlock to quit, it can be done from the lock window.
    3. Update from the Mac App Store.
    4. Launch 1Password.
  • viskwal
    viskwal
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue with the non-appstore version 7.4.3
    Tried everything, including the list of steps that Ben posts to every problem, but still no go...

Is there a way to downgrade to an earlier working version ?

• @viskwal

We don't generally recommend downgrading as an option, because of improvements we have made in the newer versions. Even then, I'm not sure a downgrade would rectify the problem based upon the wide range of people and various setups this has occurred with. I would tend to think maybe an OS problem, but that's just an assumption on my part, I have no facts for that.

I think the best option would be to temporarily switch to a different browser if you can manage it, for a brief time. Hopefully, that bit of time will help us to resolve the issue. If a downgrade is absolutely necessary, then yes, it could be done. Let me know, and I can give you some details.

• viskwal
    viskwal
    Community Member

thnx Tommy for the reply.
    I'll bite my teeth for a bit, and use Firefox until this is resolved.

• You're welcome for the words. :) I know you will be more thankful when this issue is behind us. I can assure you, we both want to see it in the rearview mirror.

• bplein
    bplein
    Community Member

I installed a clean macOS Catalina system today, it's fully updated. I then installed 1Password 7.4.4 via the App Store and I too cannot enable the Safari extension. It shows up under Safari Preferences/Extensions, but is unchecked and cannot be checked.

• MplsP
    MplsP
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. Using MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave,) Safari 13.0.5 and 1Password 7.4.4. If I reboot it will work temporarily but then quits working again.

At this point, I have to say WTF, agile bits???!!! You tell people they have to upgrade to version 7 to get 'great new features' (there are none) and Safari integration, and force people into a never-ending subscription model only to let them discover after they've upgraded that the one useful feature of 1Password 7 doesn't actually work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bplein:

Thank you for letting us know your experience as well. It does sound like you encountered the same issue that our developers are currently working on fixing, so thank you for your patience while we get to the bottom of this :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MplsP:

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our developers are hard at work to get this issue resolved.

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

Same here. 1 Password extension is visible and activated, but nothing happens when I click the icon in Safari. Also the menu bar item is giving me a strange message, eben though the extension is activated - see screenshot. 1Password app however is working as it should. I don't know when this started. I'm on Safari 13.0.5 and macOS 10.15.3 and 1Password 7.4.2.

• Hi @iCoco

I'm sorry for the trouble. Have you restarted the Mac since this problem began?

Ben

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member

@Ben: I closed and restarted Safari, but not the Mac before (or at least I'm unsure because I don't exactly know when the issue first occurred). However, I did restart the Mac right now, and 1Password extension is working again. :)

• Glad to hear that did the trick, @iCoco. :) Thanks for the update.

Ben

• JPMcCormick
    JPMcCormick
    Community Member

I'm having this problem now. I'm running macOS 10.14.3, Safari 12.0.3, 1Password 7.7 from the Mac App Store. I've reinstalled 1Password, restarted my computer, and confirmed that the 1Password extension is checked in the Safari Extensions preferences.

No dice.

Was this ever solved in code? Or a fix identified?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JPMcCormick:

Since several months passed since this discussion was opened, it's possible that you are experiencing something different. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• msa
    msa
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Having the same issue as JPMcCormick, same OS and app versions.
    [#HQA-92461-223]

• @msa

Please check your inbox momentarily.

• arosenow
    arosenow
    Community Member

I'm having this same issue. The extension is enabled in Safari, but does not appear on the toolbar. And as long as Safari has focus, Mini will not open from the system menu bar. I've tried full quitting all relevant apps and restarting the machine. Specs below.

Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
    MacOS Big Sur (11.3.1)
    1Password 7.8.6 (App Store version)
    Safari 14.1.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arosenow:

If you confirm that the extension is indeed enabled in the Safari Preferences > Extensions tab, please see this documentation page to make sure Safari now shows the icon for you:

If you don’t see the 1Password icon in your browser’s toolbar

This discussion has been closed.