Are there any plans to support 2F with Yubikey on Chrome for Linux?

rico_gini_net
rico_gini_net
Community Member

I do not really understand why it is not there. Yubikey as second factor works for other services like Google, GitHub, GitLab because it is based on a Chrome feature - which 1passord is already using for Windows and Mac I guess. I expected it to work and it prevents me to use 1password for my private (family) passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:yubikey linux

Comments

• Hi @rico_gini_net

U2F should work with 1Password in Chrome on Linux. What sort of difficulty are you having? Which key are you trying to use, and which version of Chrome?

That said, you may want to read more about the purpose of 2FA with regard to 1Password accounts. There tends to be a fair bit of misunderstanding here, because we don't do traditional authentication. It doesn't play the same role as it does with most other services. I wrote a bit about this in a recent forum post, here:

Feature Request: Additional MFA prompt criteria — 1Password Forum

Please let us know. Thanks.

Ben

• rico_gini_net
    rico_gini_net
    Community Member

I expect to see the the option for U2F in the 2-Factor settings panel. I only see the option to setup the authenticator app. I use Ubuntu 18.04 (Kernel 5.3) with Chrome 80.0.3987.116. I have the Ubikey 5C. The key works with other services in this configuration (Google, Gitlab, Github).

• @rico_gini_net

TOTP (authenticator app) is required in order to enable U2F at present. You'd need to set up TOTP first before you can enable U2F. From our U2F guide:

Before you can use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account, you’ll need to turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account.

(Use your U2F security key as a second factor for your 1Password account)

You can find instructions on setting up TOTP here:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• rico_gini_net
    rico_gini_net
    Community Member

Thanks! That solved the problem!

• Glad to hear it. :) Happy to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.