Attaching Documents/ Relating Items

SamVickers
SamVickers
Community Member

Using 1Password X and iOS app - I'm trying to attach/relate files to existing entries in my vault. I keep seeing mentions of relating items such as the screenshot in this forum post (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91984/how-to-use-documents-and-linking-in-1password-7-for-windows) but these features seem to be missing from 1Password today.

The closest I can find is "Add New File" when editing an entry in the iOS app but this only allows capturing a new photo/file or uploading from camera roll/Files, not relating an existing document in 1Password. (Also trying to attach a document from OneDrive fails unless I have previously opened the document through the Files app, saying "The file doesn't exist".)

I am unable to find any way to relate or attach a document to another entry within the desktop browser extension.

Am I missing something or has this really been removed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @SamVickers! The Linking feature currently exists only in the 1Password for Mac app in its most robust form. In 1Password for Windows, you can upload documents, and link existing items (not new ones, so it's a two-step process). In 1Password for iOS, you can (as you've discovered) add photos from the camera roll, but not documents from elsewhere on your device). If you have access to a Mac running 1Password 7 for Mac, it's best to do your file uploading/linking there.

If you're using 1Password X for your browser extension, that means any editing you do with the data will actually be done in the 1Password web app in your browser, where linking is not yet available. To avoid this, you can use our companion (“desktop app required”) extension instead of 1Password X, or just use the desktop app itself, if you prefer.

• SamVickers
    SamVickers
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the heads-up, I hadn’t realised there was a feature difference between the full Windows app and X. I’m happy enough to upload files and then relate them in a second step.

I’ll install the app tonight and see how it goes.

Also is there a list available somewhere I could compare features in 1Password X to the Windows app?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SamVickers - not a feature-for-feature comparison, no. They're different products, aimed at different things. 1Password X was designed to be able to be installed into systems that can run Chrome, Chrome derivative browser and Firefox, but where we don't have a native 1Password app (such as on Linux). It works well on platforms where we DO have a native app (macOS, Windows), but the full app is going to be more full-featured because it's a native app instead of a browser extension. If you're a Windows user and you would like to upload and link documents as well as use the browser extension, be aware that 1Password X does not directly communicate with the native app, because again, it was designed not to. If you want to be able to launch websites from within 1Password for Windows directly, you'll need to install the companion ("desktop app required") extension I referred to in my previous reply. Hope that's helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.