IP doesn't lock when I close (and then launch) Chrome

jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited March 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Do I have this confused but I thought that IP X would lock each time I close Chrome (and so require me to enter the MP to open 1P X when relaunching Chrome but right now this is not the case for me as 1PX is able to be opened w/o the MP).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18
OS Version: Chrome
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

More specifically, it locks as expected if I EXIT Chrome using the EXIT found within the "hamburger" menu ie within the "3 vertical dots".

BUT if I EX|T Chrome by just selecting the top right X 1P X does not lock ie

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jmjm! 👋

Thanks for letting us know about this! Are you using a Chromebook, by chance? You mentioned Chrome as your OS, so I can assume that much but figured I'd double check. I've seen one other report of something similar, and I want to investigate the best I can. Would you mind taking a screenshot of your auto lock settings on the 1Password X settings page? You can get there by right clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, then click Settings. Please screenshot the Security section and post it here whenever you get a chance.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

My error @kaitlyn . I am using Windows 10 (sorry) (with the Chrome Browser)

Do your best kaitlyn as it is buggin' me that closing all tabs in Chrome using the top right X doesn't lock 1PX (and this is my "go to" method of closing Chrome each time).

• Thanks for the screenshots, @jmjm! So, 1Password X isn't exactly locking when the browser closes, but instead it's kind of like we're quitting 1Password X when we quit the browser, then it launches in a locked state. I know in Windows, clicking the X to close browsers generally defaults to quitting them unless you change that setting, but I'm wondering if Chrome is instead minimizing to the taskbar or running in the background somehow. Can you try using the command to fully quit Chrome (ctrl - Q), then relaunching Chrome to see if 1Password X is indeed launching locked as it should be?

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

@cecelia I just want to clarify....is it intended, for security reasons, that 1P X locks whenever one closes all tabs for Chrome (regardless on how one does it e.g. the X in the top right corner)?

I am sorry but to be clear, is the sequence you intend in ctrl - q "just" ctrl + q. I ask as ctrl q or ctrl+shift+q does nothing ie there is no effect on chrome.

• cecelia
    edited March 2020

Thanks for asking, @jmjm! Just closing open tabs won't lock 1Password X if the browser's still running. The best way to make sure 1Password is locked is by:

A. Manually locking it. You can do so a few different ways. The fastest is probably with the keyboard shortcut: Shift + Ctrl + L. Alternatively you can either right click the toolbar icon and choose Lock or left click the toolbar icon to open the pop-up, click the settings "gear" icon, then choose Lock 1Password.

B. Quitting the browser. 🤦‍♀️Sorry about providing the wrong shortcut! I've spent so much time on macOS lately, it seems some basic Windows functions slipped my mind. Alt + F4 would be the command for quitting Chrome on Windows.

This discussion has been closed.