2-factor authentication, how is it supposed to work?

Options
1kPWs
1kPWs
Community Member
edited March 2020 in Mac

Hi,
I've activated 2FA for my 1pw account, but my 1PW app on macos (V7, osx 10,15) behaves other than I thought it would.
When I open 1PW, I have to enter my Masterpw as usual,
and then the App is completly unlocked, as it was before 2FA, and a second small Window is beside it that wants me to enter the 2FA code,
which I could but 1PW is already unlocked.
That can't be the way it should work, should it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @1kPWs

That's exactly how it works. :) 2FA doesn't prevent you from accessing data already on your device, because there is nothing to authenticate against in that case. You're just decrypting already stored data. What requires authentication (and thus 2FA, if enabled) to talking with the 1Password server to download/upload new information. 2FA helps protect the device authorization process.

I spoke more about the role of 2FA with regard to 1Password accounts here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/535586/#Comment_535586

I hope that helps!

Ben

• 1kPWs
    1kPWs
    Community Member
    Options

ok thx for your explanation,
    I read a bit into the thread you linked
    but to be honest, for me that's a bit like thinking about if the universe is infinite or a bubble
    intresting but stack overflow for my brain,

so i think i'll trust your competence :-)
    My main concern was if there's something wrong with my app, and thats not the case.
    Cheers!

• Ben
    Options

My main concern was if there's something wrong with my app, and thats not the case.

Indeed. :) Working as intended. :+1: If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Tofu
    Tofu
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben , I cannot access my account due to 2FA. It is asking for a 6 digit code but I cannot for the life of me find it. I checked my google and microsoft authenticator apps and it's not in there. Any ideas?

• Tofu
    Tofu
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben , I cannot access my account due to 2FA. It is asking for a 6 digit code but I cannot for the life of me find it. I checked my google and microsoft authenticator apps and it's not in there. Any ideas?

• @tofu

To resolve this we will need to put you in touch with our security team who can perform an account verification. To get that process started please send an email to us at support+forum@1password.com from the email address associated with your account (this must match). You'll get an automated response from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

• Tofu
    Tofu
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

@ag_tommy thank you

Here is the ID [#DIN-38159-123]

• @tofu

It made it to the correct team.

• Tofu
    Tofu
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy The issue was resolved. Thanks!!

• :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.