1Password couldn't finish updating (Update to Malwarebytes 4.1.0 first)

Severine
Severine
Community Member
edited March 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Got this notice today:

I closed MalwareBytes, disabled WindowsDefender, and closed both my open browsers. Still won't work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 - 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Hi @Severine,

Thanks for reporting this.

Try to whitelist the 1Password directory with Malwarebytes, disabling or closing it won't help. You can find the 1Password directory at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password. If you need the full path, open 1Password and go to the Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Reveal 1Password directory in Explorer.

After that, go to 1Password Menu and click the update menu to force the update check again.

• Severine
    Severine
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT - I whitelisted the folder on MalwareBytes and Windows Defender, and tried again. Same error message, unfortunately.

• Hi @Severine,

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• snoski
    snoski
    Community Member

I'm having this same issue

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Hi @snoski,

Same issue with Malwarebytes installed or do you have a different anti-malware? We have 2-3 reports of Malwarebytes doing this and whitelisting 1Password directory fixed the problem for them.

Here's how: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039024133-Exclude-detections-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v3

You'd want to temporarily whitelist this directory: C:\Users\ *your Windows username * \AppData\Local\1Password\

When you get to step 4 in their guide, choose "select folder ..." and navigate to the location above, then click okay.

• snoski
    snoski
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Yes I excluded that folder in MWB. I also excluded it in Zemana. Windows Defender is super confusing to me. I allowed the app through the firewall. Is that whitelisting???

• @snoski,

Windows Defender shouldn't be an issue, we all use it here and there's no issue with updating 1Password with it. You don't need to whitelist with the Windows firewall, that's for the networking only, and the issue here is 1Password is prevented from replacing its files on disk.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• rjltj55
    rjltj55
    Community Member

I had the same issue. Turns out Malwarebytes itself had an update. After I updated Malwarebytes, and then went back to 1password to update, the update completed with no problem.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Great, thanks for letting us know!

@rjltj55 can you confirm what version of Malwarebytes you have, so others can compare?

• rjltj55
    rjltj55
    Community Member

@MikeT
    I was upgrading to Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0.

• Thanks! @snoski / @Severine can you confirm you have that Malwarebytes version?

• Severine
    Severine
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Thanks @MikeT - yes, I have MalwareBytes 4.1.0 (I updated several days ago, before this issue with 1Password arose).

I just sent the email with my diagnostics report. If you don't receive it, please let me know. Thanks for the help!

Oh and I can confirm that I whitelisted the folder you indicated in Malwarebytes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Severine:

Thank you! I confirm that we have received the report and I have located it in our systems. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: QFK-69717-842

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Severine If whitelisting our directory in Malwarebytes does not help, then what you can do maybe is..

1. Boot Windows in safe mode with networking, then
    2. Download and install our latest version here, then
    3. Re-boot (not in safe mode)

Please let us know how it worked out. Thanks!

• Severine
    Severine
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

@MikeT @ag_ana @svondutch Thanks for all your help. I had a bizarre and vaguely unsatisfying yet ultimately successful outcome. Here's what happened:

I followed the instructions @svondutch laid out, but when I restarted in safe mode with networking, my network adapter experienced driver errors which I wasn't able to resolve, and so I wasn't able to actually try to install 1Password from the website as instructed. Despite a fair bit of troubleshooting, attempted driver reinstalls, etc. I couldn't resolve the driver issue in safe mode with networking. Note that my partner is a Microsoft Escalation Engineer, and even he couldn't get it to work.

I rebooted back into standard mode with the intention of posting here about my problem, when lo and behold the autoupdate function in 1Password suddenly worked. I have no idea why - I have done absolutely nothing and changed absolutely on my computer since last night, other than reboot into and out of safe mode with networking a couple of times.

Anyway, I am now on 1Password 7.4.750, thanks to mysterious forces quite unknown to me.

• Hi @Severine,

Thanks for writing back to let us know that. That is odd about the safe mode, the point of it is that it uses the safe verified default drivers. You may want to run a system check with sfc: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

I am not 100% confident that your issue is resolved for good though. I suspect what happened is when you restarted and logged in, 1Password simply ran the downloaded updater before anything else opened up, meaning, there's a small chance it may happen on the next update while everything else is opened.

I reached out to Malwarebytes just in case to see if they can help. I'm not sure it was the blocker in your case but it would be nice to get more data out of this situation.

Just in case for future references, what kind of network adapter do you have?

• jschwoerer480
    jschwoerer480
    Community Member

I had the same problem updating 1Password to 7.4.750. I updated Malwarebytes Premium to 4.1.0 as recommended, and I was able to update 1Password. I did not need any special configuration of Malwarebytes or Bitdefender.

• That's great, thanks for letting us know!

• nickwaters
    nickwaters
    Community Member

Windows Defender shouldn't be an issue, we all use it here and there's no issue with updating 1Password with it.

Somewhat unrelated (sorry) but my AV subscription is running out shorty and I've two questions:

1. In your personal opinion, does Windows Defender offer sufficient security on its own?
    2. What AV, if anything, do 1Password use on Macs?

I wish to ensure whatever software I choose provides me the best experience with 1Password. :p

I've heard Windows Defender has improved significantly and therefore I may end up using it - independent tests rate it highly.

I understand that anything you say won't be an official endorsement on behalf of 1Password and I accept all liability. 8-)

• Hi @nickwaters,

In your personal opinion, does Windows Defender offer sufficient security on its own?

Yes but we can't offer recommendations as you already mentioned at the end :smile: It all depends on your security needs, for an example, I don't believe Windows 10 has a decent usable firewall and you should still have one to block outgoing connections by default. You should practice the standard security habits, don't visit any random sites to download that you don't trust/know, use VMs (or the Windows Sandbox feature if you can), don't trust unsigned files, and so on.

We believe that not all antimalware solutions are equal and some may be worse off with your security because they open up more holes in your system's security if malware can infect/bypass them, which has happened in the past.

I use Windows Firewall Control by Malwarebytes.

What AV, if anything, do 1Password use on Macs?

Again, we cannot offer any recommendations on this but we don't use them in general and use the same security habits along with using macOS' built-in XProtect.

For firewall, some of us use Little Snitch.

• jackstanton
    jackstanton
    Community Member

Was having same issue and driving myself crazy trying to run down why -- update of Malwarebytes worked. Weird b/c Malwarebytes is supposed to automatically update.

On the other hand, would it be so much to ask for 1Password to say "update all malware programs first"? Or something/ -- instead of the opaque error message? We're not all IT professionals...

• Hi @jackstanton,

We probably will do that, this is the first time we ever had this situation where updating the anti-malware solution helps. It wasn't an issue in the past few years, that's why it is not there.

• jackstanton
    jackstanton
    Community Member

Good -- might be worth reaching out to Malwarebytes as well, intra companies? You both have reasons to want your software to "place nice" with each other.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

I already did, they're looking into it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Funglin
    Funglin
    Community Member

Thanks for this thread. Updating Malwarebytes to version 4.1 solved my problem, which I had not seen before, as a longtime 1Password and Malwarebytes user.

• Thanks for letting us know, @Funglin.

I've informed Malwarebytes of this thread as well already and they're working with us. It is the weekend, so it may take a while before we figure out the next approach.

• Severine
    Severine
    Community Member

@MikeT Sorry for the delay in responding - I was travelling over the weekend. My network adapter is a Marvell AVASTAR Wireless AC Network Controller (the standard for a Microsoft Surfacebook 1st generation).

I've never had an issue with a 1Password update before, but if you're right and I see additional errors next time, I will certainly report back.

Please let me know if you need more data or if I can be of further help.

• Hi guys,

@Severine, if you can, can you try switching to the beta channel for updates and let us know how it updates now? We just published 7.4.752 Beta 2 now and we're curious to see if it still works fine.

• Severine
    Severine
    Community Member

@MikeT Just modified my settings to opt in to the beta builds as you suggested, and it updated to the beta version 7.4.752 just fine (woo!)

• Good, thank you!

If anyone can help, please do give the beta a try to ensure it is still updating properly for you as we plan to ship another stable update within the week.

This discussion has been closed.