Why is there no new version or beta for the Windows app ?

Options

Hi !

So first of all, i'd like to wish a Happy New Year to all the 1Password team and hope that 2020 will bring you all love, happiness and success.

My post is regarding the 1Password app for Windows. I've noticed that on all other platforms (Mac, iOS, Android) there are new versions released and most importantly ongoing betas most of the time on the changelogs.

However regarding the Windows app, there have been no updates since September and no beta is visible on the changelog, which begs the question: is it still under development ? And if yes, how comes it seems to have less focus than other platforms ?

Having given that a thought and being a fan of cybersecurity, I've come up with only two possible cause:

1: the Windows version has been left behind for a few months in order to focus on more important issues/improvement on other OSs, and will soon resume to its normal pace.
2: as the "Added support for an upcoming feature for the 1Password memberships, more details will be revealed soon." suggest there might a new feature coming up on Windows (and possibly other platforms), there might be a closed beta not disclosing upcoming changes.

Anyway since Windows is the primary OS i use 1Password on, i surely hope it won't be left behind, especially as it catched up to the Mac app in recent updates.

Sorry for the long message, but when it comes to softwares i'm passionate, and i love 1Password ;)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I don't want to jinx myself by being too optimistic here, but I do think we're reaching a point soon where we'll be back to our normal release schedule. You're close with the thought on more important issues, @IkariGradius, but rather than being on other platforms, there are some big changes we wanted to make on Windows itself. I don't want you to get too excited – these are under the hood changes and while they might be interesting to the nerds among us, they're not the flashiest of updates. But they're important changes all the same and required more time than others.

This has definitely been a bit awkward from a release perspective because anything we want to change or fix would need to be something that works alongside those big changes and they're fairly fundamental to how 1Password works under the hood. We could update things in the current version and the new one in tandem, but that's twice the work for each and could easily have the effect of pushing things back even farther. As such, we decided to lump those big under the hood changes and anything else we could fit in into one big release.

This could definitely give the impression we're sitting on our laurels and I don't blame anyone for thinking that. "Just trust me" is a phrase generally met with eye rolls no matter what company you're talking to and not without reason. It's not a phrase I like using. In this case, though, I'll have to ask you to take a leap of faith for a bit. Our Windows team has been working really hard on this next release and while I can't prove it just yet, the release notes will show you just how much effort they've put into the next update when it lands. Keep an eye on that beta channel and I sincerely hope we'll have a nice big pile of changes for you fairly soon. After all, I'm as tired of sharing this spiel as y'all are of hearing it, so having something concrete to show y'all will be a day for celebration to be sure. :chuffed:

• IkariGradius
    IkariGradius
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for your very detailed explanation @bundtkate ! That's one of the reasons i love 1Password, this kind of dedication to your customers. It doesn't matter if it takes a few months for the next release to come, as the curent one works flawlessly for me. As for the leap of faith, i know your company's reputation for being reliable and honest, so i trust every word you said.

Anyway it's good knowing your Windows app is still being actively taken care of, and as i'm a geek, i'm curious as of what new features or "under the hood" improvements are coming...

Thanks again for your answer ;)

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

@IkariGradius, I agree with you and also with what @bundtkate wrote to you. I am also a big fan of the 1Password Desktop app, and wouldn't live without it.

• bundtkate
    edited January 2020
    Options

You two are both a breath of fresh air, thanks, @IkariGradius and @r1ma. 💙 While I totally understand the frustration some of our Windows customers are feeling right now and don't blame them one bit, it's definitely nice to see replies like y'all's from time to time. It's been a pretty gloomy week here in South Texas, too, so y'all brightening my day is that much more appreciated. Keep being awesome and if I can do anything more to help, you can find me annoying our development team by asking repeatedly if we can release that beta yet. :wink:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate No wonder that the warmth and the beauty of sunny Texas made you such a caring and intelligent person, kate.
    I am happy we have you here. Thank you.

• And now you're making me blush, @r1ma. Thank you. 😊 Texas does have a wide variety of really beautiful landscapes and I've no doubt living somewhere with a lot of stunning natural areas helps me stay positive, but the thing that really helps us all do our best work is being empowered to help in whatever way we can. I have the leadership here at 1Password to thank for that and know full well that no every support team is given the resources and support in making a real difference for our customers that we are. I count myself lucky to be here and truly hope I'll be here for y'all for many years to come. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks for your message. Just a question: Can you tell me that the next version of 1P for Windows will still support pasting a password into the password filed?
    For instance, in case the user wants to put abcdfgt1234 in the password field, instead of letting 1P create the password.
    Thank you.

• Oh, absolutely, @r1ma. There's really no good reason to disable that and many good reasons you might need to do so. The only effect that has is that when you paste a password, 1Password will dock it some points on strength because it can't know for sure if it's actually random. Otherwise, it doesn't give a hoot what you put there. :+1:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bundtkate and another question is this:
    The user creates his own password like abcdfg1234xyz for account B and creates a similar password bvcfg12367txyz for account C, and smililar one for account D, then if in any case, one password is same as another, then it will be listed in the "Reused Passwords" in the Watchtower, right?

Thank you.

• That's correct, @r1ma. There are currently some exceptions to that rule (one of which I know the Windows app isn't following as yet), but in general that's true. The exception that we're not handling proper at the moment is that two separate Login items for the same domain with the same password shouldn't be flagged. These are considered as being for the same site. I am not certain if we've made that change for the next beta, but it's one that will be coming. If not for the next version, at some point after. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate @IkariGradius the new beta is finally out for Windows.
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

• IkariGradius
    IkariGradius
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for keeping us informed @r1ma ! I took a look at the changelogs and so far i like what I'm seeing. Looks like this update will be worth the wait ;)

• Hi guys,

We have a beta thread to talk about 1Password 7.4 Beta 1 here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110923/1password-7-4-for-windows-beta-1-is-here#latest

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

@IkariGradius will you install it on my main machine? For me, it runs smoothly.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

I did a very quick look. These are super great to have them in this version, finally:
    Added No Proxy Server option to our Proxy settings. {OPW-3436}
    Added Control + Shift + F keyboard shortcut to search all items. {OPW-3185}
    1Password now opts out of Windows 10's Clipboard History when copying any data within 1Password. {OPW-1123, OPW-4139, OPW-4187}

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the kind words :)

• IkariGradius
    IkariGradius
    Community Member
    Options

@r1ma I'm not using the beta version, but i watch closely what new features are being added and how is it going. I know someone using 1Password betas since a while and from what he told me they usually have very few bugs and work smoothly.

Thanks for your reply and thanks to you as well @ag_ana, @MikeT and @bundtkate ;)

• On behalf of our team, you're welcome. I'm glad your friend had a good experience with our betas; they do go under a lot of internal testings before we release them to the public.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome :)

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

Just a reminder for our friend @IkariGradius that thew new version is officially out.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks @r1ma!

Both the 1Password 7.4.750 stable is out and we already shipped 7.4.751-BETA to begin working on the next update.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

you mean the developers are now working for the next beta?

• MikeT
    Options

@r1ma, yes. We've never stopped working. :smile:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

That's exactly why I am using 1P.

• MikeT
    Options

:+1:

• IkariGradius
    IkariGradius
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot @r1ma for keeping me up to date, as well as @MikeT for your answers.

This discussion right here is statement in itself of the dedication of the 1Password team and community. I've honestly never seen anything quite like it.

Back to the update, I followed the beta updates on the changelog closely and was delighted when it was pushed to public release. It was a long wait, but oh boy was it worth the wait. Some annoying bugs (such as the trash not emptying immediately) have been corrected, the UI is refreshed and there's some excellent enhancements. I use the software in French and have indeed seen the improvement of local language translation. I especially like the ability to deactivate 2FA from within the app, as that can be a lifesaver should someone loose access to their authenticator app for some reason.

Yet another brillant job from AgileBits ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for the kind words @IkariGradius! :)

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks so much, @IkariGradius.

We're hoping we won't have any more of these long waits, 1Password 7.4 is the rare exception where we have to do a major internal rewrite to prep for the future. Hopefully, we'll be back to shorter and frequent updates. We can't wait to do more soon.

This discussion has been closed.