PIN or 2FA instead of master password

Hello

As a suggestion / feedback, is it possible for you to implement ability to unlock 1Password X with PIN code or 2FA? Master password will be needed at first installation, and then unlock it with a custom PIN code or 2FA? Not sure if 2FA is doable but unlocking with PIN is possible with Bitwarden.

It is very annoying to put master password everytime I restart / open browser considering I am opening my browsers like more than 60-70 times a day.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Naxterra. 👋 Thanks for the feature request!

I'm happy to pass your feedback along, but I can't make any promises about the ability to unlock 1Password X with a PIN coming to fruition. That said, we are working on a new feature that allows 1Password X and 1Password for Mac to communicate with each other, which means 1Password X would be able to adopt the lock state of 1Password for Mac. It's currently in the beta stage on macOS, although I'm not sure which platform you're currently running. If you do happen to be on macOS, you can check out our announcement post here.

I know I wouldn't be a fan of needing to fully quit and open my browser 60-70 times a day! I'm curious what you do or what the need for restarting your browser comes from. It's always fun to dig deeper into use cases so I can better understand the features our users need. :)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

@Naxterra – Thanks for explaining that to me. It makes sense why you're more prone to closing your browser than I am. I also believe that when you press the x button on your browser, it's fully quit on Windows (vs. macOS where the browser isn't fully quit until you specifically select Quit). Now that that plays a huge role in it, but it makes it easier to fully quit the browser more often on Windows.

Based on your use case, it may be beneficial for you to use the 1Password companion extension instead. That extension connects with your 1Password desktop app, so whenever the desktop app is unlocked, the extension is too. Granted, I personally prefer the user experience of 1Password X, but I understand the fact that it doesn't [yet] communicate with the desktop app on Windows may be a hassle to some users.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

We don't have plans to change this for now, but I recommend using the **Cmd+** keyboard extension if you are using the companion extension if you want to login faster. No need to right click, select 1Password, then select login field ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

Ctrl. But you can change the keyboard shortcut to whatever you prefer in the 1Password settings.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

Not at the moment, but thank you for letting us know that this is something you would like to see :+1:

This discussion has been closed.