blocking "bridge connection" Windows

Problem - 1password prevents a bridge connection between 2 windows computers.
I have a Windows 10 computer and a Windows 7 computer and want to move all the Windows 7 programs to my Windows 10 computer. I have lost the broadband connection in my Windows 7 computer(and have not been able to restore it because 1password blocks it, as well as the next process), but with the 2 computers connected by an ethernet cable, I can set up a bridge connection that connects both computers and allows data movement between them. Once I get to the last step in the bridge connection, I get a message that 1Password has blocked the connection. Can I turn off that feature in 1Password?
If not, please tell me if I can somehow install 1Password on my Windows 10 machine (without paying for another license), so that I can remove it from my Windows 7 machine thereby allowing the bridge connection to complete.
1Password version 7.3.712

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:blocking "bridge connection" Windows

Comments

• Hi @lvh0724,

Thanks for writing in.

We do not understand what you mean by the bridge connection being blocked; 1Password has nothing to do with your network connections, it cannot nor does it have anything to do with your network adapters. It does not block them either as it is not firewall nor is it capable of doing that since it needs to have administrator rights to do that and 1Password doesn't have that.

Can you share a screenshot of that bridge connection error or blocked?

Note we do not recommend that you transfer the program between computers like that. 1Password must be installed normally on the other computer or you may end up with a broken app that doesn't know how to work because it wasn't installed normally.

For your license, you can reuse it on any numbers of Windows PC you have, register the same license from the purchase email on PC; install 1Password and then go to the 1Password menu > License to register the license.

I also recommend that you add your license file to your 1Password vault file, so that the next time you have a new PC, you just install 1Password, unlock your vault and get the license file there to register with 1Password. You can also store your 1Password vaults and license file on a USB drive to transfer to another computer like so: https://support.1password.com/new-device/#move-your-data-with-a-usb-flash-drive

• lvh0724
    lvh0724
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    I created a Network Bridge on my Windows 10 computer by using the first of 5 methods described in
    https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Computers.
    Then on my Windows 7 ccomputer (connected to my Windows 10 computer with an ethernet cable) I got the error message displayed in the following link.

The message indicates that 1Password blocked the connection.
    Here is one of many log messages:
    Type Time Thread Message
    E 20803994ms ThreadId(16) 1Password::api:1706 │ 20803994ms │ Refusing helper connection from
    "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe", because of
    untrusted certificate.
    I liked your idea of installing 1Password on my Windows 10 computer, but the problem is I can't locate my license Key.
    My son used a 1Password Thanksgiving Promotion in 2018 to give me 1Password free for a year. I have since paid for the next year,
    but none of my emails from 1Password contains a license key. Also, it is not letting me log into 1Password as it says my secret password is wrong. I'm sure it is correct and that the error is because this is a new computer. Nothing that I do allows me to login without my secret key.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lvh0724:

That error message means that 1Password is not connecting to your browser because it cannot verify it. Unless you have a working internet connection, this won't work. And from the screenshot you posted, it looks like you are not connected to the internet, so you will have to sort that problem out first.

I liked your idea of installing 1Password on my Windows 10 computer, but the problem is I can't locate my license Key. My son used a 1Password Thanksgiving Promotion in 2018 to give me 1Password free for a year. I have since paid for the next year, but none of my emails from 1Password contains a license key.

If you have a 1Password subscription, you don't have a license key, since you can activate all your 1Password apps with your 1Password account. So it's normal that you cannot find your license key :)

Also, it is not letting me log into 1Password as it says my secret password is wrong. I'm sure it is correct and that the error is because this is a new computer.

What is the exact error message that you are seeing when you trying to use this Secret Key?

• @lvh0724, if you copy the 1Password 7.4 installer here to your original computer, it should not require internet access to verify your browser's code signature but it has nothing to do with your internet issue as Ana mentioned.

Also, it is not letting me log into 1Password as it says my secret password is wrong. I'm sure it is correct and that the error is because this is a new computer. Nothing that I do allows me to login without my secret key.

On the original computer, open 1Password, unlock and go to the Accounts menu, expand your 1Password account menu, you'll see your secret key there you can copy/paste to the other computer.

• lvh0724
    lvh0724
    Community Member

Thanks to both of you for your help. I did get my secret password from my windows 7 machine and used Mike's link to download 1Password and install it on my Windows 10 computer. I then logged in to verify that my vaults were also on the Windows 10 computer.
    I have removed 1Password from my Windows 7 computer as it will be recycled. I then tried the network bridge which indicated that it was successful on my Windows 10 computer, but unfortunately it did not provide internet access on my Windows 7 computer. But, clearly that is not due to a 1Password problem. Thanks again for all your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lvh0724:

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Hi @lvh0724,

Please make sure you are wiping your drive before you resell/recycle the laptop. Uninstalling 1Password does not remove its data, you have to trash your 1Password directory completely if you're not going to use that computer again but we recommend that you format that drive instead.

This discussion has been closed.