Scanning a QR code in login.gov

I'm trying to use 1password to scan a QR code in login.gov. I have read the answers on these support pages, but do not understand them. For example, the answer at https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/#to-save-your-qr-code-in-the-apps is unclear to me on one point. Step 1 reads "Open and unlock 1Password, select the Login item for the website, then select Edit.". I do not understand the instruction "select the Login item for the website". Can someone walk me step-by-step how to do this using either the Windows version or the iOS version ?

1Password Version: 7.4.750 (Windows)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

I'm trying to use 1password to scan a QR code in login.gov. I have read the answers on these support pages, but do not understand them. For example, the answer at https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/#to-save-your-qr-code-in-the-apps is unclear to me on one point. Step 1 reads "Open and unlock 1Password, select the Login item for the website, then select Edit.". I do not understand the instruction "select the Login item for the website". Can someone walk me step-by-step how to do this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @emdee! Welcome to the forum!

I have merged both your comments in the same discussion, so we don't reply to you in multiple places ;)

I do not understand the instruction "select the Login item for the website".

This means that you should select the Login item for login.gov, the one you have stored inside 1Password.

Can someone walk me step-by-step how to do this using either the Windows version or the iOS version ?

The instructions that you are following are already step by step, for all platforms (including Windows and iOS). If you get stuck at a specific step, please let us know which steps that is and we will be happy to help you.

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

Sorry, I still do not understand. Here's where I'm at. I log in to login.gov, and go to a specific page that has a letter code (or QR code) to enter into (or scan into) 1Password. Once that code is scanned into 1Password, 1Password is to give me back a code that I type into the login.gov site, in a box provided.

You restate above, "select the Login item for login.gov'. Sorry, I do not know what you mean by a 'login item'. Do you mean I am to log into the site? But I am already logged in, and am not at the place where I enter the password. In fact, I do not need 1Password to remember a password, just to scan a code and give back a code.

I am a total newbie, apologetically clueless, but am grateful for help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@emdee:

You restate above, "select the Login item for login.gov'. Sorry, I do not know what you mean by a 'login item'.

If you open the 1Password app on your device, you will see the list of Logins you have stored inside the 1Password app. Those are "Login items".

Do you see the list of data you have entered in 1Password when you open the app? Once you do, please scroll down to the entry for Login.gov and select it. Once you have done that, you can edit the item and continue with the tutorial :)

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. I went to the Items page, and there are 3. One has my name and details, one has Welcome to 1Password, and one has 1Password Account (my name) with secret key etc.

Obviously there is no login.gov. How do I add login.gov to this list?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@emdee:

Obviously there is no login.gov. How do I add login.gov to this list?

If your 1Password database list is empty, you need to start populating it. You have several options to do this, depending on the device you are using. This is a tutorial that shows you how to use 1Password to save your data. Please get familiar with the process before continuing with the more advanced options. The first step is always going to be adding your data inside 1Password :)

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

Thanks again! After reviewing the tutorial, I understand that I must do two things: (1) add the browser extension for 1Password, and (2) make a password to login.gov using 1Password. This will add login.gov to the list of login items, which is my goal. Am I correct?

The problem is that I already have a password to login.gov, the one I made up when I started using that site. So I must I transition from the old password to the new 1Password password. So I must login to login.gov, go to the change password page, and have 1Password make a new password there. How do I get 1Password to do that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@emdee:

Thanks again! After reviewing the tutorial, I understand that I must do two things: (1) add the browser extension for 1Password, and (2) make a password to login.gov using 1Password. This will add login.gov to the list of login items, which is my goal. Am I correct?

There is no need to create a new password for login.gov. Just install the 1Password browser extension and login to the website with the current password you already have. 1Password will prompt you to save your existing password without having to create a new one.

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

Thank-you again. I followed the instructions in your most recent comment, so I have the browser extension. The next step is to follow the tutorial at https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/#to-save-your-qr-code-in-the-apps. This has 4 steps. I executed steps 1 and 2, but at Step 3 (Click the QR code icon and choose “From my screen” to scan the QR code) I do not find a QR code icon to click on. I'm using Chrome on a PC.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@emdee:

I do not find a QR code icon to click on. I'm using Chrome on a PC.

Just for confirmation: are you trying to do this directly in the Chrome extension? Steps three and four can only be performed in the 1Password for Windows desktop app directly, so please make sure you try to do those steps in the main application. You will definitely see the QR code icon there :)

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

Sure enough, I was using the browser, not the app, and the one-time password worked. Thanks! One more question -- I had saved the password to login.gov in 1Password, as part of an earlier step, so now I wish to see if 1Password can use the saved password to either enter the password into the password field in login.gov, or if it is able to log me into login.gov directly. But if I go to login.gov using the browser that has the extension, I have to login as usual, typing in the login name and password, and no password help is offered. What have I done wrong or misunderstood now?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@emdee:

If you go to login.gov in your browser (as usual), instead of entering your login and password manually, you can just click on the 1Password button in your browser, and it will enter everything for you :)

• emdee
    emdee
    Community Member

Apologies, if I had remembered the tutorials I would have known that. ¡Mil gracias!.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@emdee:

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.