"Dropbox Authorization Failed" error won't let me log in to my 1Password.com account

Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member

We just got a new iPad, running iOS 12.1. We have 1Password 7.2.1 installed on the device. We used Apple's automatic setup to bring in the apps and settings from an older device. Now, when I enter 1Password on this new iPad, I get an error message that pops up about every five seconds, saying "Dropbox Authorization Failed" "It appears that 1Password is no longer authorized to connect to your Dropbox account. Tap 'Authorize' to reconnect to Dropbox." "Dismiss | Authorize". This error message is preventing me from signing in to my 1Password.com 7.2.1 Family account. If I choose 'Dismiss', the error message returns in five seconds. If I choose 'Authorize', it takes me to the Dropbox login, but I no longer have my account syncing through Dropbox.

This error message pops up while I am typing in my password to connect the app to my 1Password.com account. It prevents me from finishing the typing of my password. When I hit 'Dismiss' again, it frequently erases the part of the password that I had started typing. I can't type fast enough to get my password entered, before the error message pops up again. I haven't yet been able to complete the entry of the information needed in order to get this 1Password app focused on/connected to my 1Password.com account.

It would sure be nice if there were some way to 1) Dismiss this warning message for longer than five seconds, and/or 2) Have an option in the warning message that would let me abandon my Dropbox connection to 1Password, and take me directly to the sign in for 1Password.com, leaving me free to enter the information, without the warning message reappearing.

I will keep fighting with this error message, and perhaps I will succeed in another few dozen tries. But this doesn't seem like a good user experience to me.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @Nekoninda

I’m sorry for the trouble. The best way to resolve this, considering you are no longer intending to sync with Dropbox, would be to uninstall and reinstall 1Password for iOS. From the welcome screen you’ll be able to sign into your membership.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• peterwi
    peterwi
    Community Member

I just had the same problem after restoring a backup to a new iPad. I do sync to DropBox. iOS 12.1. I also had 2-factor authentication with DropBox. It was an insane whack-a-mole through about 30 popups of "Dismiss | Authorize" until I eventually succeeded. A suboptimal experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@peterwi: Sorry to hear that. I wish that Dropbox had an automatic deauthorization for these situations, and just had you sign in again, or, better yet, just migrated the authorization to the new device (though that could have security implications). Either way, Dropbox authorization status isn't something we have control over here at 1Password, so you may want to pass along your feedback to Dropbox. Happy New Year! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Nekoninda

Are you able to login to your 1Password account in a browser, rather than in a 1Password app on a different device?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To clarify again, we don't have any control over Dropbox's authentication system. If you're restoring one device from another, the authorization of the original will not work on the new one. Hence you may need to deauthorize the old one, or, at the very least, authorize the new one from scratch. Depending on exactly what was restored, it is often simplest to install a fresh copy of 1Password and/or Dropbox and do the setup from there...but of course that isn't guaranteed to work if the issue is that you need to deauthorize something first.

Of note, if you're using Dropbox at all, you probably don't have a 1Password account, as you'd only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password membership subscription (which doesn't involve Dropbox at all).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

However, after I deleted Dropbox entirely from the new device, 1Password was still telling me that I needed to enable Dropbox in order to sign in to 1Password.

@Nekoninda: I'm sorry to hear that. It's certainly not something I've ever heard of before, and given that deleting iOS apps also delete their data, I'm not sure how iOS would be restoring anything in 1Password where it would have anything to do with Dropbox either. It's certainly worth investigating.

Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

And please generate a diagnostics report, as the logs may shed some like as well. Just be sure not to post anything sensitive here, as this is a public forum. Send them to support@1password.com. Thanks in advance!

However, I believe it all stems from this:

When I attempted to restore my iPad from a saved backup, some ghost of my previous 1Password standalone account, which in the past was synched with Dropbox, restarted all of the 1Password login problems.

That makes your device restore apps and data from the backup. It isn't selective, and that's how you'd have 1Password looking for Dropbox or whatever, because that's what was in the backup. I still don't understand how deleting the app would have iOS retain that, but perhaps we can learn something and pass that onto Apple.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood your comments.

I too am almost certain you would end up in the same situation if you restored your device again from a backup where you'd had 1Password setup to sync with Dropbox; 1Password will still expect to sync with Dropbox in that case. That's expected, on account of the restore of iOS restoring everything from the backup -- there's no way to pick and choose. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is why/how 1Password (or any app) could maintain this state after removing the app itself, since iOS is designed to also remove its data. So I was thinking it might be of interest to Apple if that's happening.

Anyway, I understand completely that you wouldn't want to intentionally get into that state again. And anyway, it would be an unnecessary time sink for you, since you aren't currently in that situation. I don't think you'll have any more issues, but if you do please get in touch and we'll investigate. Cheers! :)

• lkgeorge
    lkgeorge
    Community Member

I've had a similar problem several times over the past several months when I switched to/from different iPhones or to/from different iPads. It has happened every time I've reinstalled 1Password on an iPhone or iPad via the restore process. It's frustrating and time-consuming because the Dropbox authorization window keeps popping up while I try to enter my credentials and step through the authorization process--and the process never completes successfully.

I'm running version 7.4.6 on iOS 13.3.1; it also happened on previous versions of iOS.

Here's the scenario, with screenshots (as several queries over the past few years were closed due to lack of screenshots or version info):
    1. Open 1Password.
    2. Start searching for the password I'm looking for.
    3. Get a popup window:

4. Tap "Authorize" and attempt to enter Dropbox credentials.
    5. Continue to wrestle with the popup window in (3), which conveniently appears every keystroke or two. Continue to choose "Authorize," though I'm not sure it matters after the first popup.
    6. Get the authentication code on my phone and type it in (while the popup window continues to repeatedly appear).

7. Respond "Allow" on a window asking to allow 1Password access to Dropbox:

At this point it seemed like it should've worked. Nope; more authorization failure popups.

In past iterations I limped along in 1Password, dismissing the frequent popups while searching for locally available login data, because I wanted to get the phone or tablet into a functioning state asap. Today I was just too fed up with it so I did a broader search. I finally found a post on MacWorld that resolved the issue. (I eventually found it here too, except that I didn't need to do anything beyond what I list below.)

In iOS:
    1. In 1Password, tap Settings > Sync.
    2. The display should show Primary - Dropbox. Tap the field.
    3. Scroll down and tap Disable Sync.
    4. Next, choose "Start Syncing," select Dropbox, logon with your userID and password, and compete 2-factor authentication.
    5. In the Choose a Vault screen, tap your main vault (probably apps/1Password/1Password.opvault).
    6. If you are prompted to approve a Dropbox connection in the Dropbox account, tap "Allow."

I didn't need to do anything on my Mac or other devices: no resets, changes to files/folders, etc., just the iOS device.

I appreciate the 1Password app very much or I would've tossed it out after the first few rounds of this. And, even hough agilebits doesn't have control over the Dropbox authorization process, I would note that 1Password is able to complete the process via Settings when it cannot complete it successfully from the main part of the app.

I doubt that all authorization errors are exactly the same as mine, but maybe this info will be useful to others--hope so.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you so much for writing this @lkgeorge! I am glad to hear that these steps worked for you, and hopefully they will help other users if they hit the same issue :+1:

• lloyd60
    lloyd60
    Community Member

I am having the same pop up issue. When I moved from 4 to 7 back in February I changed the vault from Dropbox to 1Password cloud. Everything was working fine until I upgraded my iPhone couple days ago. All of the data transferred and I thought it was in the 1Password cloud vault. Still think so, but not positive. When I click on categories on the new phone in the 1Password app, all data is there. But the annoying pop up persists. Help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lloyd60:

If you look at your vault list inside the 1Password app, do you see a vault named Primary perhaps, that is still trying to sync to Dropbox?

• lloyd60
    lloyd60
    Community Member

No, it just shows the same vault I see on my iPad which works perfectly. To make sure they were the same I edited a note on my iPad then looked at the note on my new iPhone and the new edit was there. This then is the new vault I set up when I moved from 1Password 4 to 7 back in February and is the one on the new iPhone. So I just need to stop 1Password on the new phone to stop looking for the Dropbox vault. How to do that? The pop up asking to authorize the Dropbox vault is persistent and very quick to re pop.

• @lloyd60

If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see all of your data there? If so I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password app from the iPhone. Then sign into your account in the app.

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• lloyd60
    lloyd60
    Community Member

Well, that did it. Logged into 1Password, saw my data, deleted 1Password, reinstalled and that nasty pop up went away. Whew!

• Thanks for the update. :) Glad to hear that worked out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.