Is it safe to delete the 2FA token after setting up yubikey?

notarobot
notarobot
Community Member

Hello,

I'm new to yubikey and 1Password. I have just bought 2 5ci to use with fairly new apple devices. I'd like to use the keys mostly with the laptop, which I only use on a dedicated secure network. My goal is to avoid typing passwords on my phone as much as possible, because it has been vulnerable to targeted hacking via cell network and wifi. I'd like to also remove evidence on the phone of my password manager account. I have successfully set up both yubikeys with my 1password account. I have written down the secret key and 2FA key and will protect them. Is it safe to now delete the 2FA token on the phone?

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is it safe to delete the 2FA token after setting up Yubikey?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @notarobot! Welcome to the forum!

Is it safe to now delete the 2FA token on the phone?

Just to make sure I fully understand your question: where is your 2FA token currently stored on your phone?

• notarobot
    notarobot
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply!

I have tokens in Google and Last Pass authenticator apps. I'm not committed to either or both, necessarily. I'm using Last Pass only for authentication after that account was hacked, and have been hesitant to use a password manager again, but would also like to get ahead of the game by trying yubikey, and this lead me to 1Password. My main concern at present is keeping a low profile on my phone regarding passwords and account info, protecting my home wifi, and not mixing the two. I hope this helps!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@notarobot:

Thank you for the clarification! We use 2FA authentication in case you misplace your Yubikeys, so I cannot recommend deleting your 2FA code altogether. You just never know when you are going to need them. However, you could consider storing it inside 1Password ;)

• notarobot
    notarobot
    Community Member

Yes, I think I've gathered there are a few ways to store the codes from the forum. I was just wondering if not using a 2FA token app, and deleting the tokens on all apps, would affect the use of the yubikey, since 2FA has to be turned on for the yubikey to work. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@notarobot:

The Yubikey will continue working even without the 2FA code, so from that point of view there won't be any problems. But it would still be a good idea to keep the 2FA codes stored safely somewhere, in case you need them.

• notarobot
    notarobot
    Community Member

Awesome! Thank you so much.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @notarobot! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.