Upgrade to 7.4.750 fails

Hi,

I just tried to upgrade to 7.4.750 but it fails with the following error:

I closed all browsers and killed browser processes and tried again with the same result.

I can't find evidence that a firewall, virus protection or some other security feature is blocking the upgrade.

I uninstalled the old version of 1P, but shouldn't have done that because the clean install also failed and now I'm stuck without 1P.

Cheers,
Marnix

1Password Version: 7.4.750
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marnix,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the update!

Are you running any kind of AV/anti-malware software on your computer? Please let us know.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Yes, McAfee antivirus and Windows defender. I cannot stop those because they are company managed. But I can not find any relevant events in the logs.

Cheers,
    Marnix

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Hi @Marnix,

Did you originally install 1Password or was it managed by your company?

Try to reboot and then download/install 1Password 7.4 from here, see if that helps. Unfortunately, if that doesn't help, you'll have to ask your IT department to help install it because it has to be whitelisted in their security programs. They may need to check for updates to their security products as well.

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

I installed 1P myself. It's not managed by my organisation.

Thanks for your help. I decided to dig a little further myself. It turned out that my c:\users[my ID]\AppData\Local was marked ReadOnly. I removed that and was able to install 1P.

Thanks for your help anyway :) !

Cheers,
    Marnix

• Hi @Marnix,

That's very very odd and it is not 1Password either. Can you think of anything on your PC that would modify the permission? Did you have a Windows update recently or anything like that?

Can you please email us your 1Password diagnostics report, use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

I have sent the email.

Cheers,
    Marnix

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Marnix:

Thank you for the confirmation. Have you received your ticket number already? If so, can you please post it here in the forum so we can connect your email with this forum discussion? Thank you!

• @marnix, no need, we found your email now.

ref: AZH-85774-828

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Hi, back again.

Now failing to upgrade to 7.4.763. I tried the above (closing browsers, running setup as admin and removed read only from Local folder*) but now with no success and a different error:

In the Application event log I see the following 2 errors. I'm not sure whether they are related because they seem to come from the currently installed version and have a slightly different time stamp:

Cheers,
    Marnix

• Different time stamp likely means they're unrelated, @Marnix. Also, running setup as admin is not a good idea. 1Password isn't meant to run elevated and installing it as such is likely to cause problems. It sounds like that install failed so shouldn't be an issue, but just for future reference.

A few things yet to cover:

1. Any Windows updates available? I saw a bit of an uptick in folks reporting issues updating 1Password because they had pending Windows updates and these do tend to roll out gradually over time. Double-check in Windows Update specifically clicking the "Check for updates" button, install any available, and try again.
    2. Have you tried a good ol' reboot? Beyond their sometimes magical properties, if the issue is one of your 1Password files being in use and you did fix the underlying problem along the way, a reboot can release that file when sometimes fixing the underlying issue alone will not.
    3. If you happen to have a Brother brand printer, end its software's processes in task manager and try again. Yes, I know that sounds extremely silly. Also yes, that software was, in fact, to blame for some past issues, regardless of how strange that may seem.
    4. As mentioned in the original error (and now in the article linked from that Learn More button), whitelisting the 1Password folder in your anti-virus (if any) can help when all else fails.

If none of the above helps, we need to take a closer look at what, exactly, is holding on to one of your 1Password files/folders and that would point to something system specific we've not seen before (like that Brother printer software), so just let me know. :+1:

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I still could not install the new 1password version:
    1. fully up to date
    2. yes
    3. nope :-)
    4. McAfee is managed by my company, so I'm not able to make any exclusions. But I looked into McAfee logs and there is no exception when I run the installer and the Error: system(32) message pops up. When I click cancel the following entry is logged in McAfee's EndpointSecurityPlatform_Errors.log:

04/14/2020 10:23:22.980 AM 1Password(16744.23456) XX-MY_ID-XX AMSI.AMSI.Error (ProviderHelper.cpp:271): GetProcessName - GetModuleFileNameEx failed: 0x1f

Also I'm no longer able to open the 1password app. Ctrl-Shift-X still works, but if I click the app icon nothing happens. If this is caused by the failed install or something else I don't know.

Cheers,
    Marnix

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marnix,

CTRL + SHIFT + X works because it is 1Password X. 1Password X works entirely in your browser and it is separate from 1Password 7.

If you are unable to launch 1Password 7, please try to do the following now:

1) Make sure that you can sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser.

Then:

2) Open Start menu, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\ there and press Enter.

3) Find 1Password folder there and move it (cut and paste) to your desktop.

4) Reboot your PC.

After that:

5) Download and install the latest version of 1Password 7 from here.

Are you able to install 1Password this way? Does it work? Please let us know. Thanks!

Stay safe,
    Greg

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your help!

I can't cut and paste the 1Password folder to my desktop. It complains that the folder or one of the files in it is in use. I closed all browsers and other relevant programs but no luck.

I used Process Explorer to see what is happening and I see 6 suspended 1password processes. Could these be holding the folder or one of the files in it?

Cheers,
    Marnix

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,

I rebooted again and was then able to move the 1Password folder. Installation was successful. - Thanks!

Cheers,
    Marnix

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

Hi @Greg,

just noticed, the old folder was called "1password" and the newly created "1Password" with a capital P. Is that coincidence and shouldn't make a difference or could that be a cause of the solved problem?

Cheers,
    Marnix

• That's nothing we've changed, @Marnix. To my knowledge, it's always been capitalized. It's odd that you saw 1Password suspended as well. That's a special state that, in theory, only UWP apps should be able to get into. Or, more colloquially, apps from the Windows Store. 1Password 7 hasn't ever been available on the Windows Store so it shouldn't be able to get into that state. Do you have the 1Password extension installed in the original version of Edge, by chance? I still wouldn't expect that specifically process to be able to get suspended, but it makes more sense than without and could explain the update troubles, potentially.

Finally I still wouldn't totally rule out McAfee. What we see isn't usually the update being genuinely blocked. Instead, what happens is that the update triggers the AV's active scanning. It locks down the folder while that can is happening and the update can't complete as a result. It's not blocking anything, just using the folder, precisely as the error message indicates. I can't personally confirm that this works, but if you see this issue again and don't have the extension in Edge, you could try waiting an extended period while leaving that error message up. After several minutes (just to be safe and certain the scan will have completed), you could hit retry and see if it completes after. I've always wondered somewhat if, in the case that active scanning is the culprit, simply waiting might help. It may not, but worth a try. :+1:

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

I have installed the 1pw extension in the new Edge (Version 81.0.416.53 (Official build) (64-bit)) based on Chromium and an Internet Explorer 11 but without 1pw.

I will try the workaround waiting for McAfee should I run into this issue again.

Thanks again @bundtkate!

Oh, btw I discovered that the 1password folder was held by the System process

• Oh? See, usually that happens because there are pending updates. Weird that you didn't have any, @Marnix. Or maybe you did later? I just need a little digital gremlin that hangs out by folks 1Password folders and virtually smacks any other processes trying to muck with it. It's 2020, do we have that yet? Someone should really get on that. :lol: Until then, fingers crossed that your system cooperates a bit better next time around. 🤞

• Marnix
    Marnix
    Community Member

Nope, unfortunately not. Upgrade to 767 fails with the same error. Will try @Greg's workaround.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @Marnix, please let us know how it goes :+1:

This discussion has been closed.