Can I undo a vault migration?

bvp
bvp
Community Member

I'm feeling incredibly frustrated right now. For years I've had multiple accounts, a 1Password Teams account for one of my businesses, a sync dropbox account for another one of my businesses, and an iCloud vault for personal. I wanted to try using the 1Password Teams private vault for a bit, so I used the migration feature and now my other business vaults are no longer accessible, and I can't find a way to put them back.

I can't even see the option to create a standalone vault anymore. It's as if once I migrated everything into the 1Password Teams subscription, it removed any ability to have standalone vaults or sync with other services. This is pretty disappointing if it's true that paying 1Password a subscription REMOVES choice from the end user.

Is there a fix for at the very least getting my dropbox vault syncing again? Can I restore an application support folder somewhere to a previous state where everything was as it was and then manually drag and drop the items I want into my 1password Teams account?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.3 (70403002) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud, Dropbox, Teams

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bvp! Welcome to the forum!

This is pretty disappointing if it's true that paying 1Password a subscription REMOVES choice from the end user.

If you migrate your data to 1Password.com, the 1Password app asks you if you want to remove the Primary vault from the app. If you select yes to that, it will follow your order and remove the vault. It sounds like this is what happened. By design 1Password tries to do nothing without your approval.

Is there a fix for at the very least getting my dropbox vault syncing again?

Certainly. Please open 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab and make sure that the option Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts is enabled. If it is, you will see a Sync tab in the Preferences menu, where you can point your app to your Dropbox vault once again.

• bvp
    bvp
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Ana! I was indeed expecting a final prompt asking me to remove the Primary Vault, but all I remember was seeing a "Do you want to use your 1Password account?" clicking one button, and it started doing its thing. It was also very late, so perhaps I missed something.

Thanks for revealing that checkbox in the Advanced menu! Totally glossed over that.

For anyone else running into a similar issue where their iCloud and Dropbox vaults are merged into a 1Password Teams or Family accounts and wants to return things to a previous state, these are the steps I took:

Retrieving Dropbox Vault
    1. Find your synced dropbox vault inside of Dropbox. Double-click the .opvault file to import into 1Password.
    2. 1Password will ask you for your master password to import your dropbox Vault. This is the master password for the vault associated with your 1Password memberships subscription, not the master password associated with your previous iCloud vault or the vault you’re importing.
    3. It’ll prompt you to create a new vault, and then enter ask you to enter the unlock password for the dropbox vault that you are importing.
    4. Walk through the set-up process, and it will auto-generate a local Primary Vault alongside your Dropbox vault that you just imported.

Turning iCloud sync for Primary Vault back on
    5. Now when you open Preferences, the Sync menu option will become available again. Go to the Sync menu, set the Primary vault to sync with iCloud, and follow the steps. (As mentioned about you can also bring it back by going to 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab and make sure that the option Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts is enabled)
    6. Your previous iCloud data should start syncing back down and you should be back where you started. You can delete any vaults from the 1Password Teams/Families account that you didn’t want imported.
    7. If you want to clean up and de-couple the mix of logins you had from your Primary Vault in iCloud that was merged with your 1Password Teams Private account, you’ll have to do some additional manual work. Best solution I found was to find a different device with 1password installed on it that hadn’t done a recent sync with 1password (iPhone in this case), put it in airplane mode, and then open up the 1Passwords Teams Private Vault to see what was there before the merge, and then delete any items not in that list from the Private Vault on my laptop.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into a similar issue.

• Glad to hear you were able to find a solution that you're happy with, @bvp, and I'm sorry things went differently than you were expecting. Hopefully going forward we can do a better job of setting these expectations so there aren't surprises. We generally don't recommend using standalone vaults in conjunction with memberships, as there is a tendency for confusion about the Master Password to arise. That said, we also don't recommend storing personal data in a business owned membership, so in this case it may make sense to do so. Just be aware that with such a configuration you have multiple Master Passwords that are not connected to each other: e.g. changing one doesn't change the other, and may not change the password you need to use to unlock the 1Password apps.

For what it's worth... this is one of the reasons that 1Password Business includes a 1Password Families membership for each business account:

Link a family account to your business account

Ben

This discussion has been closed.