After upgrading the Windows app this morning, the app just shows as a blank white screen.

It appears I can do a blind sign in, but the next screen is just white as well. I restarted the app, and restarted my laptop, with the same result. The auto fill dialog will appear if I press Ctrl\, but I can't see or click on any login.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:windows app blank after update

Comments

• Hi @paulji,

Thanks for reporting this.

Which Windows 10 version do you have? Can you check for Windows and optional updates to make sure everything is up to date?

White screen is usually a glitch with the graphics drivers, last time we saw this it was due to Intel graphics software update.

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. My employer pushes updates, so I have no control over that. They pushed an update as recently as last week.

• Ah, so you can't check for any pending updates.

Can you reboot in safe mode just to rule out a few things?

Try to reboot the PC to see if it improves things.

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

I was able to check for updates and there are no pending updates. I rebooted in safe mode and 1Password worked. I rebooted in regular mode and it was back to the blank screen. It also seems to be slower starting the app.

• Hi @paulji,

Yeah, that's a sign something is interfering with 1Password as it is loading.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

Do I generate the report in safe mode, and will that give you what you need? If I'm not in safe mode I have no way to get to the Help menu to generate the report.

• Hi @paulji,

Ah, it extends to the menu bar too? I assumed it was below it.

If it is not too much trouble, please do try it in safe mode. Whatever is happening in the normal mode may be captured in the logs that it'll collect.

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

I just sent the report.

• Thanks! We got the email.

ref: XQA-67427-433

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the screenshot as well :+1:

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2020

Good morning @paulji I did some research and this is probably an Intel GPU driver issue on Windows 10 only (Windows 7 and 8 are fine).

To resolve this issue, the simplest method is to update the Intel GPU driver of the problematic machine. If you are desperately finding it doesn't help even you have run the latest Windows updates and the problem still persists, try to update the driver manually by:

1. In "Device Manager", right click the Graphic card and choose "update driver".
    2. In this way, Windows 10 will try to look for the latest driver that sometimes not available in Windows Updates.
    3. If the device manager tell that your driver is up to date already, the last resort is to look for the driver here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Updating your video drivers should solve this issue. It would be awesome if you could get back to us and confirm that. Thanks!

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

Windows said the graphics driver is up-to-date. I looked for the driver, but I don't know what I'm looking for. MikeT advised: Just an idea, can you try to install the latest .NET 4.8 runtime from here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48, reboot and the reinstall 1Password 7.4, see if it helps? I already had .NET 4.8 installed. I uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled it. The issue still exists. Note that when I tried to install the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, I couldn't proceed because the install dialog was also blank.

• Hi @paulji,

Note that when I tried to install the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, I couldn't proceed because the install dialog was also blank.

Just like 1Password? That does mean the issue is your GPU drivers, not in 1Password.

Try to uninstall the GPU driver software and then reboot, see if Windows can install the default drivers that may be better.

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

I uninstalled the GPU driver and rebooted. The driver is no longer in the list of software, but Windows still says the drivers are the most up-to-date.

• That's fine, it is supposed to automatically install the drivers from Microsoft's database.

Try to uninstall 1Password and reinstall it, still blank?

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

I just uninstalled it and reinstalled. Still blank.

• Hi @paulji,

Some web search shows that it sometime helps to change Windows theme. Can you try changing your Windows theme and/or turning off system animations, see if it helps.

• bsquarewi
    bsquarewi
    Community Member

This is also a problem when trying to launch 1password through a RDP or Teamviewer window.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Unfortunately, that is exactly the same issue, it's a graphic driver issue, not an issue we can fix ourselves. We've seen this reported a few times over the years and it was addressed by graphic driver updates, mostly in Intel drivers.

If you can confirm you are only using Intel graphics, I would recommend that you submit a report of 1Password and .NET 4.7.2/WPF not working with their drivers.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

@paulji, Maybe try these Intel instructions here to uninstall, reboot first: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025578/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-6th-generation-intel-processors.html

Before you install Intel drivers manually, open 1Password to see if it is still blank without the drivers.

• We just got a confirmation from a customer that wrote in via email that if they followed the Intel instructions I provided above, it fixed the issue for them.

• bsquarewi
    bsquarewi
    Community Member

Mike,

I believe I found the source of my issue with the remote connection showing a blank window. The issue of the white screen only applies when the PC I'm connecting to is running "headless" and no monitor is connected. I'm summarizing and simplifying what I've read on some other forums (here for example) When no monitor is attached, the .Net framework will not "draw" the screen. However, when a monitor is connected to the PC running 1password, then remotely it works fine. For now, I'm going to personally try using a dummy HDMI monitor to see if that will work. So this seems to be a shortcoming of a .Net app running on a headless PC.

• Hi @bsquarewi,

Huh, please do us know if that works out. I'm sure you won't be the only one doing that and others will appreciate your information.

Thanks

• paulji
    paulji
    Community Member

I followed the Intel instructions to uninstall and reinstall, and it fixed the problem. Thanks for all your help MikeT, even though it was not a 1Password issue.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

Great customer support @MikeT and 1P.

• @paulji, you're welcome. Thanks for updating us!

@jmjm, we appreciate that, thank you.

• bsquarewi
    bsquarewi
    Community Member

Mike (and others)

Happy to report that the dummy HDMI adapter (like this one here) has fixed the blank app window problem on the remote/headless usage. Now when I connect through TeamViewer 1password is working perfectly. This also fixed another application that I'd been having the same problem with for a while now but didn't feel the the need to spend time figuring it out like I needed for 1Password.

• That's great, thanks for sharing that with us!

This discussion has been closed.