Windows app quit following web links this morning (2020-03-10), worked yesterday

Options

Working fine yesterday but today when I click on a website in the 1Password application window (not using the plug-in), it opens the default browser (Chrome) on the home page. It also starts up differently than yesterday.

• click on 1Password application
  • a fixed size window opens, not the resize-able one
  • enter password and now a normal 1Password application window opens
  • enter a search
  • click on the website
  • another Chrome homepage opens rather than a tab in the current Chrome instance
  • have to copy the website from 1Password and paste it into the browser to go to the desired site
  • shut down and restarted 1Password, rebooted; same result
  • also, 1Password is set to start automatically when I sign into Windows, this has never worked

Note: still works correctly on my Android phone (Nokia) and tablet (Samsung).

Windows 10 Pro, latest updates
Diagnostics report won't attach, "file format is not allowed"

1Password Version: 7.4.750
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: what's this

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @TwoMetreBill,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, you've been updated to 1Password 7.4, there are a lot of changes in it, you can review the changelog here.

it opens the default browser (Chrome) on the home page.

Are you using 1Password X or no 1Password extension in your Chrome browser?

Does pressing Shift while clicking website open correctly for you?

If yes, this will be fixed soon in the next update.

a fixed size window opens, not the resize-able one

This is expected. There's a new lock view that opens to a new separate unlocked full window or mini window.

also, 1Password is set to start automatically when I sign into Windows, this has never worked

You don't see it in the system tray? It defaults to the system tray upon reboot.

Diagnostics report won't attach, "file format is not allowed"

This is intentional, this is a public support forum, you should never upload your report anywhere except to a private email sent to us at support+windows@1password.com.

• TwoMetreBill
    TwoMetreBill
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I'm on 7.4.750.
    2. The app just says 1Password and I'm not using a 1Password extension in Chrome. Isn't 1Password X the Chrome OS version? Otherwise I don't know what it is.
    3. Yes, pressing Shift does correctly open the website on a tab. A new feature?
    4. Oops, it is in the system tray, didn't think to look there. Silly me.

Appreciate the super fast and informative response.

Many Thanks,
    Bill

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @TwoMetreBill,

Isn't 1Password X the Chrome OS version? Otherwise I don't know what it is.

Yes but not for ChromeOS only, 1Password X is a self-contained browser extension that can run within Chrome or Firefox on any platforms, it just doesn't require the desktop program to be installed; this means it can run on ChromeOS, Linux, Windows, macOS, and any other platforms.

Yes, pressing Shift does correctly open the website on a tab. A new feature?

What happened is that we switched to a newer implementation of Go and Fill where it opens the browser, waits for the 1Password extension to connect, get the data to open the site and fill it. So, if you have no extension enabled, there's nothing for 1Password to work with; so we fall back to opening a new window of the default browser instead of just opening the URL directly.

Shift key suppress the Go and Fill function and sends the URL to the system to open it, this is what we fixed in the next stable update where it sees the default browser already running with no 1Password extension. It's already implemented in the latest 1Password 7.4.753 betas.

This discussion has been closed.