Multiple complaints with latest version 7.4.750

Some of these have already been expressed in other threads but I'm reiterating them here out of frustration. I've been pretty happy with 1Password prior to this last update with has introduced several unwelcome changes:

1) I don't want to use the mini interface AT ALL. Please provide a way to disable it/force full app only. I know there are hotkeys but that isn't really a proper solution.

2) When I close 1Password I want it to close. I don't want it to minimize to the system tray. Please provide a way to disable that. See also #1

3) Even if I manually open the full app, and pin it to the task bar, every time I lock my computer it closes, losing my current filter/selection/etc. This is VERY annoying as I lock my computer all the time (corporate environment). Every time I unlock I need to re-filter, find, etc what I was working on beforehand.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.4.750
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 1709
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Hi @pluto01,

Thanks for writing in.

Please note that you are still going to get the full window when you unlock with the small lock view, it looks like 1Password mini but it is not, it's a separate view.

The difference in 1Password 7.4 is that there's only one view for unlocking for both the main and the 1Password mini views where in the previous version, you could unlock in either main or mini views in the same window, plus that smooth unlock animation as well.

We made major security improvements and one of which is that every lock/unlock session is terminated in full, which means that there is complete separation between the locked and unlocked views now. We can't keep the same window anymore, meaning if we bring up a full window that's the lock view, what you're doing to see is a big window closing, wait a few second and then another new window pops up. It looks like 1Password has crashed, which is why we want with a small window instead.

In other words, when you want to open 1Password (full window), you're going to see that new small lock view, you can unlock and it'll show you the full window.

1) I don't want to use the mini interface AT ALL. Please provide a way to disable it/force full app only. I know there are hotkeys but that isn't really a proper solution.

You don't have to, this is not the mini interface, this is just the lock view that will take you to the full window.

2) When I close 1Password I want it to close. I don't want it to minimize to the system tray. Please provide a way to disable that. See also #1

This hasn't changed in 1Password 7.4, 1Password has always closed to system tray since 6.0. We haven't done anything new here.

You are not exiting 1Password when you close the window, 1Password minimizes to the system tray, so that you can still use your 1Password extension in your browser or to fill in your data in other apps.

If you want to exit 1Password, you can go to 1Password menu > Exit or right-click the 1Password icon in system tray icon to select Exit.

3) Even if I manually open the full app, and pin it to the task bar, every time I lock my computer it closes, losing my current filter/selection/etc. This is VERY annoying as I lock my computer all the time (corporate environment). Every time I unlock I need to re-filter, find, etc what I was working on beforehand.

Just to be clear, what do you mean by filter, do you mean the search box has something in it or do you mean you selected something on the sidebar?

1Password does try to remember what you have selected on the sidebar but it will not remember what you enter in the search box or selected in the item list, this is intentional because once 1Password is locked, it will be fully terminated to remove all data in memory.

We are working to improve the selection states in future updates.

• @pluto01 you can use settings to disable auto-locking when your system is locked, it should help with you item #3:

• pluto01
    pluto01
    Community Member

You don't have to, this is not the mini interface, this is just the lock view that will take you to the full window.

Ok, I guess I realize that for opening the full app. I was coming from clicking the tray icon->mini unlock->mini mode, unless I use a hotkey. I will amend my request to 'I don't like the new mini unlock screen. Please make an option to restore the old 'big' unlock screen.' I know it sounds frivolous but I have a giant screen with a ton of windows open. The new small window can be annoying to find/get focus on.

This hasn't changed in 1Password 7.4, 1Password has always closed to system tray since 6.0. We haven't done anything new here.

Fair enough. I guess I never noticed or have forgotten as I've never interacted with the system tray icon before this new update. The fact that it kept disappearing/closing but remaining in the system tray made me assume it was new functionality. None the less I would still request an option to disable that behavior as most system tray-aware applications do.

1Password does try to remember what you have selected on the sidebar but it will not remember what you enter in the search box or selected in the item list, this is intentional because once 1Password is locked, it will be fully terminated to remove all data in memory.

This sounds like exactly what I'm complaining about. I have something entered in the search box and one of the results selected. This is new in 7.4 as it never did that before and is rather frustrating. Hopefully there will be improvements in this area as you mention because this is a major step backwards in usability IMO. Simply re-opening to where I left off should be simple enough to accomplish.
    Plus, it doesn't 'fully terminate' because the stinkin' tray icon remains active! :p So I don't know if I buy this whole explanation of 'having' to close the app to be secure... Wasn't the memory contents already stored in encrypted form? I would have thought so. If not, that's a better solution than just closing. I hope memory is overwritten before closing too or it's not much more secure.

• pluto01
    pluto01
    Community Member

@pluto01 you can use settings to disable auto-locking when your system is locked, it should help with you item #3:

Perhaps, but I kind of like the idea of 1Pass 'securing itself' when I lock the PC. And in order to get old functionality back I'd also have to set 'lock after computer is idle for' setting to never which isn't very desirable either. This would defeat any security improvements in 7.4 and actually be less secure than before. :(

• Hi @pluto01,

Please make an option to restore the old 'big' unlock screen.' I know it sounds frivolous but I have a giant screen with a ton of windows open

We have no plan to do this at the moment. We will continue to find a way to transition between two windows when unlocking but for now, it looks really bad when creating two separate large windows, as if 1Password has crashed. Our design team has tried to find a better way but for now, this is the best solution.

I would still request an option to disable that behavior as most system tray-aware applications do.

There's no plan to do this, sorry.

Plus, it doesn't 'fully terminate' because the stinkin' tray icon remains active! :p

Watch carefully or look at our processes in task manager. The icon disappear and reappears quickly.
    To make it easier, watch the icon and press Windows + Shift + L, the shortcut to lock it. You'll see it flash.

Wasn't the memory contents already stored in encrypted form? I would have thought so.

No, that's not how it works. If it was encrypted, you can't use the data without some kind of key and you have to keep it somewhere to read it. So, as long as 1Password is unlocked, the data is in your memory decrypted. The most consistent way to remove the content is to terminate the process holding that data when locking, Windows clear the content much faster when it knows it doesn't exist anymore.

This discussion has been closed.