Unusual password generated, then disappeared

PSH
PSH
Community Member

I generated a password for a new login for a user, and it came up with encamp-ethnic-fuhrer, or something like that. I didn't think the user would like it, and was about to click to generate a new one when it was replaced by another one.

I can't be sure the above is the password it generated because it was only there for a few seconds. Is fuhrer in the list of words 1Password can use? Does 1Password ever automatically regenerate a password if it's an objectionable combination?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PSH,

Indeed, we have an internal wordlist for the passphrases that you can generate with a password generator in 1Password. I checked it just now myself – all three words are currently present in that list.

I am not sure what happened on your side and why that randomly generated passphase disappeared automatically. Could you please specify the version of 1Password extension that you use to generate your password now?

I will also raise your concerns regarding those words with my team. Thank you for noticing! :+1:

++
    Greg

• PSH
    PSH
    Community Member

I'm using 7.4.750. I'm not that fussed about the words themselves, I'm just intrigued that it seemed to decide to regenerate another password by itself.

• Where were you generating this password, @PSH? Was it in the main app or the extension? If the extension, do you use the companion extension or 1Password X? If you're not sure, easiest way to tell is look at the icon. Companion extension is monochrome, while 1Password X is colorful. You can also right-click your extension to see its full name.

• PSH
    PSH
    Community Member

It was in the main Windows app. I don't use any extensions, occasionally I log into the website to do things the app can't, but that's rare.

It's possible I accidentally clicked the Regenerate button, but I didn't think so at the time.

• Is there any strong chance you clicked any option in the generator window, @PSH? If you change the length, separator, swapped to characters and back – anything all there would have regenerated the password. I also think clicking the generator icon did it in the past, but it's misbehaving for me at the moment and I can't be totally sure.

• PSH
    PSH
    Community Member

Maybe, but I didn't think so.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PSH:

Thank you for the confirmation. Without more detail it will be difficult to say what might have happened. Please keep an eye out for this and let us know if you see it happen again.

This discussion has been closed.