May I use 1password with my banking account? is it safe? do they let us use 1password?

I try 1password for a software made for medical record and to be accreditate by the governement it as to refuse access of your software to fill automatically identifiant and password.
is it the same for banks?

1Password Version: 7.4.6
Extension Version: 1.18.6 Chrome
OS Version: window 10 fam 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:May I use 1password with my banking account? is it safe? do they let us use 1password?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Robert_Tremblay! Welcome to the forum!

I try 1password for a software made for medical record and to be accreditate by the governement it as to refuse access of your software to fill automatically identifiant and password.

I am afraid I did not understand this question, can you please clarify what you mean? Thank you!

• Robert_Tremblay
    Robert_Tremblay
    Community Member

In Québec province, we use electronic medical record/chart in medical practice. To be acknowledge by the government, it has to comply to certain rules. One of them, i have learned that today, is that you cannot use 1password type of software.They block them. You have to manually fill the form to put your password on. (sorry for my english... did the best I could!!!!) So, if they do that for medical chart, they can do it for banks. What about gmail? It was easy for me to reach someone to change my password of my medical software but if it fails for bank or google, i'll be stuck!

• First off, if filling ever doesn't work, @Robert_Tremblay, you can always copy and paste from 1Password or reveal the password for an account in 1Password so you can type it yourself. So, even if something won't fill on a given site, you can still sign in. So, do other sites block filling? Sometimes they do. On occasion, we can work around such restrictions, but that's not always the case. That's one of many reasons we support copy/paste and reveal – so that when that does happen you're not totally out of luck. With that said, I wouldn't say blocking password managers entirely is all that common. The reality is that it's awful security practice and tends to encourage weaker passwords rather than providing any real protection. Not every service has come around to that understanding, but a lot are getting there and most will work with 1Password just fine. If you find one that doesn't, though, you'll still be okay. You have backup options for sure. :+1:

• Robert_Tremblay
    Robert_Tremblay
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply!
    Regarding the problem I inquire for, the site is blocking de paste fonction in the field for password....
    But your answer reassured me, so I'll keep going with 1pasword.

• @Robert_Tremblay there is a trick 1Password for Windows does: drag username/password from 1Password over uncooperative web site. Once you release mouse, 1Password will click into that place and start emulating typing, like it was you typing on your keyboard.

• Robert_Tremblay
    Robert_Tremblay
    Community Member

On arrête pas le progrès! (Don’t know the proper translation for this expression ;) ) Thx!

• On behalf of Serg, you're welcome!

You can use this for signing in to other apps too. :)

This discussion has been closed.