Using Windows PIN to unlock 1Password?

Hi 1Password,

Just noticed today when opening 1Password on Windows, and browser extension for Firefox:

Windows Security pops up and asks if it really me and asks me to Enter My Pin to unlock 1Password. I don't think this was part of the plan. If I press cancel, it takes me to the Master Password, however, if I enter the Windows PIN, it unlocks 1Password.

Kind Regards,
MakeItSo

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Unlocking with Hello when it's enabled in 1Password and available in Windows is the plan by default now, @MakeItSo. If you have a Hello-compatible web camera or a fingerprint scanner, you can use either of those as well, but since Windows requires a PIN fallback for Hello unlocking, it will always be possible to use PIN as well.

Now, with that said, there are totally options to configure this. If you want Hello to remain an option for unlocking, but want to tell it when to engage, you can toggle off the option to "Show Windows Hello prompt automatically" in 1Password > Settings > Advanced. If you'd rather use your Master Password always and never unlock with Hello, you can turn off Hello unlocking in 1Password > Settings > Security. You're the captain so just let 1Password know how you'd like to unlock and it will make it so. :chuffed:

• Hi @bundtkate
    I'm not using Hello, or a camera, or a fingerprint scanner on my PC. I never set it up, or toggled using Hello (I think it should have notified me that this was a new feature and it was enabled).

I see it in the settings; and changing it now.

Thank you for the quick response,
    MakeItSo

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @MakeItSo,

Windows allow PIN to be used for Windows Hello as well (it is not limited to biometrics) and if you enabled PIN for your Windows account, it'd be used in 1Password and other apps that integrate support for it.

The only reason you may see it now is because 1Password 7.4 shows it by default now but it's been available via the Windows Hello button on the lock view since the original 1Password 7.0 release.

• Thank you @bundtkate and @MikeT

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

You're welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file