Force update for site's icon?

Cafeine
Cafeine
Community Member

I have a lot of logins where the website associated changed its design over the years. I wanted to know if their is a way to force update the icon in 1password for them, even batch this task?

I write this here but it's obviously not a specific Mac question, but I didn't know where to post it. ;)

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password Web

Comments

• Hi @Cafeine,

If we have a newer icon but it is not showing you can disable then re-enable Rich Icons. Alternatively, if we don't have an icon, you can set a custom one by dragging and dropping the image over the existing icon (in edit mode).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

Hello Ben,

Thanks for your answer. Sadly, I know all of this. And it's not something I want to do with close to 1k passwords. 1password needs a very nice little button so we can force that parsing, and update that kind of thing, so we can keep a tidy UI. Nope, it's not important, but that's the kind of quality I expect from you. The parsing while creating a new password is really bad these days, and quite too often, 1Password don't even understand I just created a new account (but that's another problem entirely...). Or if it does, it doesn't "see" the icon at all... :( Quite annoying tbh.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Cafeine:

1password needs a very nice little button so we can force that parsing, and update that kind of thing, so we can keep a tidy UI.

We don't have a specific button for this, but as my colleague Ben wrote, you can disable and re-enable Rich Icons to get the same results. Is that something that can work for you?

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

Sadly not, it never updates the icon for me, I've yet to see a website where it works. Should it force the update? Tried on macOS and Windows. :/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Cafeine:

Yes, it should. I have just tested it here, and disabling Rich Icons removed all of them, and re-enabling the option refreshed all icons for me.

Do you have an example of a website that is showing the wrong icon perhaps, so we can test it here?

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

The only one I have in mind is https://clickup.com/ since they went from 1.0 (purple) to 2.0 (colorful siteicon) some months ago. I'm not sure from where you get the rich icon, but I don't see the purple one anywhere on their site, and if I disable / enable it, I only get the purple one. Maybe it's them or maybe you have a cache system somewhere? On website like https://www.nextinpact.com/ i don't get any icons (I have this problem with a lot of websites) and I can't force them, I have to manually find something, etc. I have yet to find a website where I can force a refresh. Weird. I just seems my icons are loaded back from a cache, not refreshed.

• @Cafeine

I think this boils down to missed expectations about how Rich Icons in 1Password work. These icons are coming through us, not directly from the website they are for. We curate them into a cache, as you say, such that they can be delivered with anonymity:

How 1Password protects your privacy when downloading icons

If we haven't yet added a newer icon for the site in question to our Rich Icons repository then no amount of refreshing or disabling and re-enabling is going to cause anything different to show up. Where that might help is in a case where your local cache is stale, and we do have a newer icon, but your client app hasn't downloaded it yet.

We try to keep up with the top 1000 websites, or so. Lesser known sites may have older icons, or no icon at all. In these cases you can add a custom icon yourself by dragging and dropping the image you want displayed over the icon area while editing the item. If you have a high quality image (preferably 512x512 pixels png) that is an official representation of a site for which we don't have one (or ours is outdated), please feel free to drop us an email to support@1password.com with the details, and we may be able to include it in the cache.

Thanks!

Ben

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

OKAYYYYY... #lightbulbmoment :D

That was the missing piece so I could understand the problem. Thanks. ;) While I do understand the choice, it's obviously very limiting but at least now I know why it's acting like that. When you update manually, how does it manage the additions if you turn off and on the rich icons, do you lose everything?

• Glad to hear that helped make the situation more clear. :) Custom icons are not overwritten by Rich Icons, so no worries there.

Ben

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

Perfect. Thanks for your patience and explanations. I'll take some times to clean my setup ASAP. ;) Since we're all forced to remote, I MAY HAVE THE TIME. :p

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.