Can't set-up a family account properly

miguelccarvalho
miguelccarvalho
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm mostly a fan of 1password and have sold it to my husband but he's (rightly) complaining a lot about the difficulty in setting up a Family account for us. Here's our situation:

• We individually created a 1password account
  • I then upgraded my account into a Family account
  • I invited him to our Family and he accepted
  • On my screen, everything seems to be working (attached People and Billing screenshots

)

I've reached out to 1password and they said:

Miguel,

We are first going to want to invite your husband to join the 1Password Families Account you created: https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/#invite-your-family

Once your husband has joined the Family Account, simply have him add the Family Account to his current 1Password App, and then copy all of his current login items to his Vault he will get as apart of your Family Account: https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

After we've done that, then he can simply cancel his subscription following the same instructions I gave you in our prior email. 😊

I replied and got this back

Miguel,

Just as I mentioned in my prior replies, your 1Password Family Account is a SEPARATE 1Password Account. Hence why when you invite others to join your family, they are given an additional Emergency Kit that contains their own Secret Key.

Followed by the link to the previous email.

I'm just struggling to understand this: if we both have 1password accounts why do we need to create a new account and migrate everything there? For a product that is so optimised for efficiency that seems completely off.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@miguelccarvalho You currently have three accounts. 1) is your Individual Account--turned into a 2) Family Account, the third is your spouse's Individual Account. That account is totally separate from the Family Account. You will be billed for the Family Account $4.99/month billed annually (used by up to 5 people in your family)--in addition to the $2.65/month billed annually that is your spouse's Individual Account. Once you move all your spouse's current items into the Family Account, s/he can delete the Individual Account and save the $2.65/month filed annually. In the end, you should have your own unique email address/Password/Secret Key for the Family Account membership and your spouse will have their own unique email address/Password/Secret Key for their new Family Account membership. Once setup, you should print out both Emergency Kits and store them in a safe place. hth

• miguelccarvalho
    miguelccarvalho
    Community Member

Thanks for your answer!

So, the process is more cumbersome than it needs to be but that's just my opinion as a customer.

Practical problems which we still have:

• I invited his email which he was already using at the time on his individual account. Can we sign up to a new 1password account with the same email? (I'm guessing he cannot)
    • In case he creates a 1password account with a new email, what's the easiest way to migrate the 300+ logins he has organised in his individual 1password account to his new family account? This includes 2FA configured directly with 1password.
    • I guess after that migration is done, he can delete the old account and the change his email address to the address of the individual account he just deleted? Is that correct?

I'm also confused that he was able to accept the invite if this requires him to create a new account. I wanted to remove him from the Family and invite him again but I can't seem to remove a person from a family, only Suspend (see screenshot). How do I remove someone altogether and invite them again?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@miguelccarvalho:

I invited his email which he was already using at the time on his individual account. Can we sign up to a new 1password account with the same email? (I'm guessing he cannot)

Yes, if this new account is a Families account. You cannot have multiple Individual 1Password accounts with the same email address.

In case he creates a 1password account with a new email, what's the easiest way to migrate the 300+ logins he has organised in his individual 1password account to his new family account? This includes 2FA configured directly with 1password.

He can add both accounts to the 1Password app, and move the items from the old account to the new one.

I guess after that migration is done, he can delete the old account and the change his email address to the address of the individual account he just deleted? Is that correct?

That's correct.

I'm also confused that he was able to accept the invite if this requires him to create a new account. I wanted to remove him from the Family and invite him again but I can't seem to remove a person from a family, only Suspend (see screenshot). How do I remove someone altogether and invite them again?

What are the steps you followed to get to the menu in your screenshot?

• miguelccarvalho
    miguelccarvalho
    Community Member

I think he must've done something weird because I just removed him from the account, invited him again, and went through the process with him and everything seems to have worked now. Sorry about that and thanks for the help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @miguelccarvalho! I am happy to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.