two different passwords on same account?

Options

Hello - just started paid subscription --- I changed my master password for security reasons. ( I had never changed it and was using one entered when I originally set up my account ) Now, the website master is my new one ( verified when i go to sign on and click on 1password account saved password) but, when i open 1password via the chrome extension or desktop version it's the old one?
What am i missing? are there two different accounts-? I only want to use one master password.
I just verified these three methods and it is exactly as described. New pass works for website logon - old one works for desktop and chrome extension logons. Where did i goof up ;) thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:two different passwords

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi @Pumsun,

Thanks for writing.

If you unlock 1Password on your PC first, let it sync, it should return a red banner saying your credentials don't match. Click on it and enter the new master password, you'll then see a message that 1Password has updated the master password for the app.

1Password doesn't know you've changed your master password remotely until you do a sync and it does not sync while locked.

Every 1Password install on every device has its own unique encryption key that is protected by the master password you enter and it then re-encrypt the key for your account inside the app. So, when you unlock 1Password, you're unlocking the device's key and then it uses the account key to sync your 1Password data. When the account key is updated remotely, it can't decrypt and ask you to enter the new master password and 1Password then re-encrypt the new account key with the new device key set with the new master password.

This is how 1Password can unlock with one master password with multiple accounts and standalone vaults as well.

The reason you don't see this on the 1Password web app is because it is already remote and updates automatically as soon as you log out.

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike - I do not see a sync option on desktop version - i looked in settings/security and all other options - where is it please?
    When you write" let it sync" is that supposed to be auto? - thanks

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the below method listed on site and do not see a "enable sync" option listed

Open and unlock 1Password.
    Click All Vaults at the top of the sidebar or choose View > Show Vaults (Ctrl + D). If you have a different vault selected, you’ll see its name instead of All Vaults.
    Click next to the name of the vault and choose “Enable sync”.
    Enter a password for the vault.
    Click Choose, then select the folder where you want 1Password to keep a copy of your vault.
    IMPORTANT

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @pumsun,

Yes, it is supposed to be automatic, happens at every lock or any remote changes.

Do you have more than one account in your 1Password database?

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

no - just one account called "personal "

I tried the below method listed on site and do not see a "enable sync" option listed

Open and unlock 1Password.
    Click All Vaults at the top of the sidebar or choose View > Show Vaults (Ctrl + D). If you have a different vault selected, you’ll see its name instead of All Vaults.
    Click next to the name of the vault and choose “Enable sync”.
    Enter a password for the vault.
    Click Choose, then select the folder where you want 1Password to keep a copy of your vault.
    IMPORTANT

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Pumsun,

That's just for Folder sync with standalone vaults where you can disable and re-enable sync for folders on disk. This is not available for 1Password accounts because it's all automatic.

Are you seeing changes you make in 1Password for Windows desktop show up on the web app and vis versa?

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

update - sorry - when i click on accounts , it shows 1 account - its name is not "personal " thats a vault --- sorry

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

I see new logins that have been saved on both yes. But the logon for website is newpassword , logon for local desktop is old one i will do diagnostic report

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

Sent

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi -should i reinstall on desktop? -thanks

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

could you please confirm you received email with diagnostics? sent 5 hours ago -thanks !

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

I've removed 1passport extentions and installed 1passwordx in chrome - now the new ( correct and current ) password works for my chrome browser login- but desktop still only works with old password. Please let me know if this is a security issue so i can remove 1 password completely. regards

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Pumsun:

I confirm that we have received your diagnostics report, thank you. We will get back to your email as soon as possible :)

• Pumsun
    Pumsun
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - should i kill account for security reasons? or is it ok to wait?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Pumsun:

Please wait for our reply via email after we have analyzed your diagnostics report :+1:

• ShaUri
    ShaUri
    Community Member
    Options

Dear all. I have the same problem. PW on PC-Platform is different to iOS or mac with the same account. Please assist

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ShaUri,

If you have a similar issue, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic reports from your devices and email them to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• ShaUri
    ShaUri
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    Send as requested. Thanks in advance in solving this.

ShaUri

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ShaUri,

We have received your email. Will take a look and get back to you via email soon.

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: HRT-44236-979

This discussion has been closed.