ChromeOS update forcing new device authentication - is this normal?

Options

I'm posting this to make sure this isn't anomalous behavior:

Yesterday, my Chromebook updated ChromeOS versions, to 80.0.3987.137. Normally, when I attempt to log into the 1Password extension, I end up seeing a screen like this:

This time, however, I was greeted with the screen one would get when trying to log in using a new device, similar to this one (except the Secret Key information was already filled in):

I logged in, where I was prompted for 2FA (this is fine). To corroborate, I went into the "Authorized Devices" section of My Profile. Generally, the devices are identified by the name of the browser (e.g. Firefox, Chrome), the IPv4 address, and physical location of login (along with other info). ChromeOS devices have always been a bit different, where instead of an IPv4 address, they are instead identified by what appears to be an IPv6 address. In this case, I saw the ChromeOS device I was logged in from (specified by the helpful "Your Current Device" identifier) and the corresponding IPv6 address. Additionally, I saw another listing for a ChromeOS device, with a nearly identical IPv6 address, except for some changes in the last four (I think) :XXXX: alphanumeric characters.

This is the only ChromeOS device I've ever used to log into the account, so I assume that the update to ChromeOS caused the IPv6 identifier to change slightly, and require reauthentication.

My question: Is this normal? Is this expected behavior?

I've updated ChromeOS versions before, and I don't recall ever having to reauthenticate like this. As a precaution, I deauthorized the other device, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I just wanted to be certain.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: ChromeOS 80.0.3987.137 (Platform v. 12739.94.0)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BlockchainAppliance!

If the ChromeOS update was a major one, it could have changed enough things that 1Password treated your device as a new one. I have seen this happen in the past with major Chrome browser updates on my Mac too :)

• BlockchainAppliance
    BlockchainAppliance
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation. One can never be too careful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree @BlockchainAppliance! You did the right thing :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.