v7.4.753 Windows app keeps closing itself

PSH
PSH
Community Member

Over the last few days, often when I go to use the 1Password app, I find that it's closed. Is this happening for anyone else?

It seems fine while I'm using it.

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PSH!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "closed"? Do you mean locked, or completely quit (not running)?

• PSH
    PSH
    Community Member

Stopped running.

• Stevooo
    Stevooo
    Community Member

Same here, it seems to happen whenever I lock the screen.
    It's not really closed, it's minimized to the tray area and clicking that icon opens 1password mini.
    It is quite annoying as I (and other at work) have always preferred to keep it on the taskbar.

Please revert it back to stay on the taskbar.

• @Stevooo is probably seeing the same thing you are, @PSH – when 1Password locks it now minimizes to your system tray. Next time you see 1Password stop running, try pressing Ctrl + Shift + \. It should summon the unlock window and, after a successful unlock, present the main app UI.

We won't be bringing back the larger unlock window for the main app. This change was made for compatibility with our new isolated process model. When 1Password locks the process that controls the main app window quits to allow memory to clear more quickly and efficiently. It also means 1Password can't stay on your task bar without being pinned there. The process controlling that main window is and needs to be gone. When you go to unlock again, it starts a new process for the lock view only, which launches the main app process as soon as you unlock successfully.

If either of y'all would like to open 1Password specifically from your task bar, you can always pin it there. This will, like everything, summon that minified unlock window when you click it, but after unlocking you will be presented with the main app. The unlock window summons whatever version of 1Password you asked for – for example, main app if you clicked on a pinned item on your task bar or mini if you clicked on the icon in your tray area. Alternatively, you can summon the main app with the Ctrl + Shift + \ shortcut or you can Ctrl + click the icon in your tray.

Hopefully one of these works for you – I'm a Ctrl + Shift + \ fan myself as I love anything that allows me to keep my fingers on my keyboard – but if not, let me know. We won't be going back to the old ways, but that doesn't mean we can't still improve what we've got. :chuffed:

• PSH
    PSH
    Community Member

Oh, this is normal now? That's fine, I already have it pinned to the taskbar.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PSH:

Indeed.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

(It might be worthwhile to see a short video illustrating this "normal" behaviour as a description it isnt exactly clear what one should be seeing)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm:

What part of the description do you think requires clarification?

• Stevooo
    Stevooo
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

To take away a feature without notice and then telling your paying clients you wont bring it back is pretty [expletive removed by 1Password staff, this is a public forum]

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

It appears to be, with the latest 1P Windows update that some seem to think that this new behaviour is a bug rather than the intended/"normal" as you have written. I think users who come to discussions.agilebits.com would benefit from seeing exactly what is now the new normal given that it is a change without obvious benefits. Just my 2 cents @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Stevooo:

I have edited your post to remove the offensive word. This is a public forum, so please be civil when you write here, and review the forum rules.

My colleague bundtkate explained the reasoning behind this choice, and she also has offered you more than one alternative solution. Have you given them a try? If you did, I am sorry to hear that none of those are to your liking, but we are not going to bring the old behavior back for the reasons explained above.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm:

I see, thank you for sharing your thoughts about this :+1:

• PSH
    PSH
    Community Member

I tend to agree that it was a bit odd for this behaviour to suddenly start happening without warning. It's natural to assume it's crashing.

Perhaps it should pop up an explanation when you reopen it, with the tips on the shortcuts, pinning, etc, and a box to tick not to show it again. I think that would satisfy 99% of people.

• We can consider it, @PSH, but I think that might be a bit annoying to new customers. To them, this will always have been normal and I'd wager they'd be more than a little bit confused. It's a universal truth, I think, that change is hard. As XKCD once aptly pointed out, everything breaks someone's workflow. That doesn't make the resulting struggle any less frustrating, but it does mean that sometimes we need to just accept we're going to get some flak about some changes. I do try to be transparent about our reasoning and explain the motivations when folks do find these changes jarring as you're absolutely not wrong in any way and the suggestions are always appreciated, but we are sometimes going to have to make the choice to make some folks unhappy from time to time. It stinks and we don't like doing it, but our only choice is to do the best we can under the circumstances, listen to how y'all feel and what you suggest, and try to use that feedback to make things better next time. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.