Please add "Convert to Login" to the browser interface

Options
markand
markand
Community Member

I just created a new account on a site where I already have a password. After filling out the new account form, I generated a password from the browser UI and attempted to convert it to a login. There wasn't an option to do so. I Googled, searched the Forums and started typing this up, as I was sure I had seen it before. Halfway through writing this, I fired up the 1Password app, found the password and sure enough, there is Convert to Login on top to the right of the Edit button.

Why is this not in mini UI in the browser plugin? It's here that I typically create Passwords.

Please add it to appropriate UI.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @markand

For the most part, this shouldn't be necessary anymore. When you save a Login item for a site where you already have a password item with the same password... it should be deleting that password item. Are you finding that isn't the case?

Please let me know.

Ben

• markand
    markand
    Community Member
    Options

I Ben, let me rephrase what I said and provide more context.

First, I created a NEW account on a site where I already have an account with a different user name and different password. When I did so, as I said, I generated a password using the 1Password Browser plug in UI. After hitting submit, I was not given an option of creating a new login. Since I would not be able to log in using the Password alone, I wanted to convert the Password into a Login providing my username.

Note that when I created the new account, I had to first receive an email, click on the link, verify my account and then I was logged in on this machine. As a result, I would not have to re-enter my password. What has definitely happened to me that I never am prompted for the login until weeks later or when I attempt to log in on a different machine. At that point I might not remember what my user name or the email I used.

As a test, I logged out of the account and logged back in, and when I did, I was able to select the password previously generated Password and AutoFill. After manually typing in my username and hitting submit, I was prompted to create a new 1Password Login. Doing so did not delete the password, however.

So I would just like the option, as there is in the app, of adding the username to the password at the point where I create it. So I don't have to jump through hoops to remember what I did.

Hope that helps!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@markand:

Thank you for giving us some more information about the context! That was very helpful :+1:

• markand
    markand
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana , @Ben - thank you for your quick and helpful responses!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @markand! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

This discussion has been closed.