Brave Browser Extension - Autofill Fails and Switches to Full List of Entries

focher
focher
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Mac

I'm experiencing an inconsistent issue where I attempt to use the Autofill functionality from the 1Password extension for the Brave Browser. Note that I do not experience this issue in Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. I experience this across 3 different Macs, all running Catalina. I am a 1Password.com subscriber.

What Happens
1. Navigate to a website with a web form for a login.
2. Open the 1Password Extension from the browser's toolbar.
3. 1Password successfully lists only the entries with a matching domain.
4. Select one of the entries and choose the "Autofill" button.
5. The extension window disappears then reappears, showing all 1Password entries, without filling in any details on the web form.

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @focher!

I think this is an issue that our developers are currently investigating. It typically affects Chrome, but in certain cases it could affect other browsers. Please keep an eye out on the release notes, we hope to get this sorted as soon as possible ;)

• psijmons
    psijmons
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same issue on the same configuration. Just added comments to keep posted on a fix

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@psijmons - I'm sorry for the trouble. To be clear, we don't post fixes in individual forum threads. You'll get notifications (if you have them set up in your forum account) for replies to any thread you participate in, which might include news from other users of a solution...but the official place to learn from us regarding updates, bug fixes and new features is in the release notes that accompany each update to 1Password itself. You can read those when you update your 1Password app, or they are historically archived at our version history server. Hope that helps. :)

• psijmons
    psijmons
    Community Member

No problem Lars, just wanted to let you know that this is a reproducible bug.
    I will keep an eye open on the updates / change log

• ag_rodrigo
    ag_rodrigo
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know, @psijmons, on behalf of @Lars and the whole team, we really appreciate that 💙

Do keep an eye out for this fix. Thanks!

Rodrigo

• alexbet
    alexbet
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same. Very frustrating. It doesn't work with Brave, but it works with all other browsers, Chrome, Safari, Firefox.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

I get the same problem with Vivaldi too

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @alexbet, and hi @365nice! What version of 1Password for Mac are you using, and what version of 1Password extension in Brave? If you are not yet on the beta of our Chrome extension in Vivaldi and Brave respectively, please delete whatever version you have and download 4.7.6.1 from the Chrome Web Store. Restart both 1Password for Mac and your browser(s) -- or just restart your Mac -- and let us know how that works for you.

• alexbet
    alexbet
    Community Member

I got these versions:

1Password - v7.4.1 (70401001)
    Brave extension - v 4.7.5.90

I will update the Brave extension and will report back. Thanks @Lars !

• alexbet
    alexbet
    Community Member

I just installed the 4.7.6.1. I think that it is a little buggy. After the restart, the first few times going to 1P bookmark, hitting Enter, going to a new tab and filling out the login didn't work from the extension. Then I did it from the mini menu in the task bar, and then the extension starting working too.

You see, what I do is, I hold Command and hit \ to get the 1P window, type to search and get to the bookmark, and then hit Enter. This normally would open a new Tab, go to the bookmark, and fill out the login. Hope this helps so you know how I work.

I will try using it for a while and see how it performs and will report back.

• wrrn
    wrrn
    Community Member

I have the same problem in Brave using the stand-alone version.
    Browser ext. 4.7.5.90
    1P app 7.4.2

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alexbet:

To make sure we are on the same page, what do you mean when you mentioned "the 1Password bookmark" exactly?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wrrn:

Since you are using browser extension version 4.7.5.90, can you please follow Lars's instructions to update to the beta?

• Nick323
    Nick323
    Community Member

They will not fix it, do not expect a fix. However your current best solution in Brave is to just copy/paste from the desktop app or use 1Password X as your browser extension. It is not ideal but if you subscribe it is your best bet at this time, If not copy/paste from the desktop app. Beta versions still don't work although they are better but it still isn't a fix or even acceptable.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Nick323:

What version of the Brave browser are you currently running? And what version of the 1Password browser extension do you have installed?

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I posted about it a day or two ago in the thread about problems with Chrome, though I encountered it with Brave (and I have also had it happen with Chrome). One other piece of info: after I select autofill, the extension window disappears and reappears, listing all password entries and without filling in any entries on the web page, as the original poster described. However, for me at least, the Autofill button now reads "Go".

I am using Brave version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jsack:

Can you please also let us know the version of the 1Password browser extension that you are currently using?

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member

It's version 4.7.5.90,

• Heffor1
    Heffor1
    Community Member

Is there an update on this problem? Was keen to use Brave after the Random But Memorable podcast but the experience isn't great.

Also, I have noticed that 1Password is not recognised in a Brave private browser window - so, Autofill does not work, nor does making a call from the 1Password application or extension if the only window open is a Brave private browser window. It is fine with a standard window. Is this part of the same problem? Extension 4.7.5.90 and Brave version 1.4.96 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020

@Heffor1

Check your 1Password extension settings in Brave. There is an option for "Allow in private." I think this is what you are looking for.

• Heffor1
    Heffor1
    Community Member

That worked. Now working as expected in private mode

Thanks

• That's excellent news! I'm happy to have helped.

• Heffor1
    Heffor1
    Community Member

Follow up question; how do I get 1Password to open up in a private window when I press go from inside the app? it seems to default to a regular window, even if the only window open in Brave is a private window

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Heffor1:

I have just tested this here in Brave, and things worked for me: if Brave has a Private window open, using open and fill inside the 1Password app open a private browsing tab.

• Heffor1
    Heffor1
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Thanks, I can do that too. What does not work is that from in the application under Mac OS, when I choose, say, to log into the Agilebits forum pressing Open and Fill opens a non-private window, rather than recognising that there are only private windows open and opening a new tab in the private window

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Heffor1:

What does not work is that from in the application under Mac OS, when I choose, say, to log into the Agilebits forum pressing Open and Fill opens a non-private window, rather than recognising that there are only private windows open and opening a new tab in the private window

Thank you for the clarification. I probably should have made my previous post clearer: what you just described is exactly how things are working on my machine. When I click on Open and Fill in the 1Password app, 1Password opens a private tab in the private window. It doesn't open a non-private window for me, so I cannot replicate the issue that you are experiencing.

For reference, I am running 1Password for Mac version 7.4.3 (1Password Store version) and Brave Version 1.4.96 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit), on macOS 10.15.3.

• Heffor1
    Heffor1
    Community Member

The only difference I can see is that I am running 7.4.4 Beta. Very strange

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Heffor1:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? I wonder if refreshing things might help.

• Heffor1
    Heffor1
    Community Member

Have since booted my Mac. No improvement. FYI - even when I click on the 1Password icon from within a private Brave Window and go to, say Agilebits, using 1Password, it opens and new, non-private, window

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Heffor1:

It's strange that you are seeing this different behavior on your machine. We will keep an eye out for similar reports.

This discussion has been closed.