1Password 7 Mac App Not Working with New Family Member

Farsht70
Farsht70
Community Member

I was on 1Password 6 and used Dropbox on all Family Members Macs previously so that we all had access to 1Password 6. Migrated to 1Password 7 as it's more user friendly for creating multiple vaults and sharing among family members. Invited my daughter. She accepted and set up her own Master Password on her Mac. She then download the 1Password 7 app for her Mac and couldn't log in with her Master Password. However, my Master Password worked, which to me makes no sense. I tried to uninstall and reinstall and still not working. I'm beyond frustrated and hate that I cannot talk to anyone or even do an online chat. Any ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Farsht70

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. Is your daughter able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ using her credentials (as opposed to yours)? As far as 1Password for Mac is concerned... The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. If she still has a vault from Dropbox added to 1Password for Mac then the Master Password for that vault is the only password that will unlock 1Password.

Ben

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

I found another blog where it told me to remove all of the hidden files in the library associated with agilebites. When I uninstalled using CleanMyMac, it did not remove these hidden files. Once I deleted all of these hidden files, restarted her computer, downloaded 1Password app for Mac and opened it up, it all worked. She's up and running. Now onto my wife's computer!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @Farsht70! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help :)

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

I tried to set up a second account for me on my other computer. I logged into my.1password.com; downloaded the app; logged in; but it doesn't have my license info. Can I use the app on two computers? When I click Add License, it looks for a file. I'm confused. Thoughts?

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

I logged back into the my.1password site and it gave me a choice about adding the vaults to the app; I checked yes; then for some reason, a Primary Vault showed up (which said "On My Mac"); through reading another article, I went into Preferences and Advanced and Unchecked "Allow Creation of Vaults Outside of 1Password Accounts"; it made me put in my Master Password and then deleted the Primary Vault. Now both of my computers show the same # of Vaults and Passwords and neither has a Primary Vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Farsht70:

Can I use the app on two computers? When I click Add License, it looks for a file. I'm confused. Thoughts?

If you have a 1Password account, you don't need a license. You just need to login to your 1Password account in the app to activate it, you don't need a license file.

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

So any idea on why I have a license showing on one computer but I don't have it on the other computer. But all of the data seems to be sync'd between the two? Did I accidentally also purchase a license or could this be referencing an older license?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Farsht70:

So any idea on why I have a license showing on one computer but I don't have it on the other computer.

You probably configured one computer before you created a 1Password account.

But all of the data seems to be sync'd between the two?

That's great to hear: this is what ultimately matters.

Did I accidentally also purchase a license or could this be referencing an older license?

Have you actually purchased a new license? Do you see a charge on your credit card from this from the last few days?

If not, the app is probably referencing an older license.

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

A couple of other points. One one computer, when I go to Preferences/Accounts, it shows "Subscribed" in green and a button to "Set up Other Devices". On the other computer, where the License shows up, when I go to Preferences/Accounts, "Subscribed" and the button to "Set up Other Devices" are greyed out. Any thoughts on what is going on?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Farsht70:

On the second computer, the 1Password apps is probably locked. Please make sure you unlock it, or those settings will be greyed out.

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

Unlocking fixed that...can't believe I missed that! Still struggling with the License. Can't see it on my credit card yet. Is there a way to see it via my.1password.com. I looked at Billing and only see the Family Membership which actually bills on April 12 because of the free 30-day trial. Can I see whether I purchased a License online?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Farsht70:

Can I see whether I purchased a License online?

You would have received an email confirmation and invoice if you had done it. It sounds to me like you might not have purchased any license lately. If you would like us to check that for you though, please reach out to us at sales@1password.com and we'll be happy to check your purchase history for you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Farsht70
    Farsht70
    Community Member

SMY-21216-494

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Farsht70:

Thank you! I confirm that I managed to locate your message in our system. So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: SMY-21216-494

This discussion has been closed.