Touch ID option on Mac is grayed out

FreeLunch
FreeLunch
Community Member

I used to use Touch ID just fine. The option in Preferences > Security > Touch ID on my Mac is grayed out. How can I turn this on? I rebooted the Mac as well.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:touch id option grayed out mac

Comments

• Hi @FreeLunch

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble enabling Touch ID in 1Password for Mac. The most common cause of this is that the Mac is not configured to unlock your macOS User Account using Touch ID. Do you unlock your Mac with Touch ID? Could you please double check that this checkbox is checked in System Preferences > Touch ID:

Please let me know.

Ben

• FreeLunch
    FreeLunch
    Community Member

Ben,
    Before I posted, I checked this setting and it was properly set. Several hours later, 1password starting working normally. I'm not sure what happened.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FreeLunch!

I am happy to hear that this is working again now :) Please let us know if this happens again so we can take another look.

Have a wonderful day :)

• danaspiegel
    danaspiegel
    Community Member

I just had this issue. The setting above in System Preferences > Touch ID was checked, however the 1Password Touch ID option was disabled.

I disabled then re-enabled the System Preferences > Touch ID option for "Unlocking your Mac" (which then prompted me to enter my account password), and all of a sudden the 1Password Touch ID option was enabled.

Perhaps this is a bug in Mac OS, in which case you guys should file a Radar about this. I don't know what happened to cause Touch ID to be enabled but appear to 1Password as disabled, but this quick reset of the System settings fixed it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @danaspiegel! Thanks for letting us know. :) :+1:

• chtompki
    chtompki
    Community Member

+1 to having this issue. Also in system preferences I have the "unlocking your Mac" checkbox checked. That said. I've had to reset my fingerprints several times (so maybe you've got a bug in the new fingerprint workflow)

• Not to get off-topic, but how could we when it's about helping our customers.

The Mrs had dry and cracked hands, but nothing I would consider overly so. I looked at her ridge detail and never noticed a vast difference between hers and mine.

We would literally re-enroll hers daily or more. After googling a huge amount, it seems this is a problem with Touch ID for a super small percentage of people. We found relief by enrolling her thumb. It worked flawlessly, countless times, both day in and day out, without needing to re-enroll. I'm not saying this is an issue for anyone here, just throwing it out there. We thought the problem was 1Password, or worse, her Mac. That is until I enrolled mine on her Mac, and I would use it for weeks with no issues.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

Same problem here - after a reboot 1Password didn't ask for Touch ID. System Prefs Touch ID was set to allow unlocking of my Mac. Disabled it, quit System Preferences, reenabled it in System Preferences, then the box was available to check in 1Password. 1

Password version 7.4.4 build 70404001 from the Mac App Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nosillacast:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Disabling and reenabling the setting indeed seems to help.

• bob729
    bob729
    Community Member

Look at your MacOs System Preferences, Touch ID option. There are 4 check box options there for Touch ID. I deselected all of them, then reselected all 4, and then the Touch ID option for 1Password worked OK. Seems like more of a bug with MacOS than with 1Password.

• Thanks for letting us know that worked for you @bob729. :+1:

Ben

• loonygoose
    loonygoose
    Community Member

Hi,
    Just had the same problem on Macos Catalina (10.15.4). Haven't played with touch ID settings or changed fingerprints.
    The above suggestion worked for me as well (only had to uncheck and recheck unlock mac in the touch id pref pane).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for confirming that the suggestion worked for you too @loonygoose, I am glad to hear this :)

• Domon
    Domon
    Community Member

I can't remember how many times I had to search the same issue and came to this forum post for the workaround.

Does anyone in 1Password know what exactly causes the issue?

Could it be fixed in 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Domon:

Does anyone in 1Password know what exactly causes the issue?

Could it be fixed in 1Password?

From what we have been able to see so far, this seem like a bug in macOS. If someone ever manages to find consistent steps to reproduce this, we can certainly see if there is anything we can do on our side :+1:

• h34i
    h34i
    Community Member

+1 on this issue. It was fixable by unchecking and then checking the option "Use Touch ID for: Unlocking your Mac" in the Touch ID System Preferences.

I have never had this problem with 1Password before, but it might have occurred after I failed the Touch ID authentication in the app a couple of times, due to dry finger tips.

• Thanks for sharing, @h34i. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.