Upgrade to 7.4.753 failed. The app keeps closing itself.

I found this in the log file.
6256 2020-03-13 13:05:06 0.000s INFO opw_app::app:161 > process 18328 starting setup role
6256 2020-03-13 13:05:06 0.069s ERR opw_app::os::uninstaller:240 > kill_competing_processes() = Error: Failed to kill AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe. Access is denied. (os error 5)
6256 2020-03-13 13:05:06 0.079s ERR opw_app::app_services:21 > opw-base\src\error.rs:277 permission denied (error code 5: Access is denied.)

The app keeps closing itself. This issue only happens when the app automatically upgraded to version 7.4.753.
I suspect the 1password process is blocked by Carbon Black Defense software. I am using a company laptop. It is not an option for me to tell IT security team to adjust the rules because a password manager software requires special permissions.

Please provide a solution ASAP.

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 v1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Woodchuck
    Woodchuck
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I can't open 1Password because it is trying to update to 7.4.753 - but it can't because I believe Watchguard Threat Detection & Response is flagging it and killing it. I cannot remove or uninstall Watchguard TDR to prevent this, so it keeps closing itself over and over, and I can't access it. I also can't uninstall 1Password because it throws a "parsing" error. How fun. I am utterly frustrated with this right now.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

@Woodchuck I managed to uninstall 1Password by deleting the whole directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password. Then I installed 1Password version 7.3.712 which does not have this issue.... Of course, I immediately disabled auto-upgrade this time. . It is indeed very frustrating.

• Woodchuck
    Woodchuck
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

This is an excellent - thank you @zhlsk -- where did you get version 7.3.712? Do you have a link for it?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it!!! Let's see how it goes. Thank you :)

• Woodchuck
    Woodchuck
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

Unfortunately, I'm getting the error as before... even with version 7.3.712!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/75/lqcqcyn8kvp3.png

• This isn't a special permission needed, @zhisk, it's 1Password wanting to replace its own files. Some AVs do have a problem with how 7.3 does this, however, because it uses the temp folder (only for updates – not new installs). AVs don't like the temp folder and, in fact, we don't either. We've stopped using it in 7.4. But, you have to get to 7.4 to see the benefit of that change. Are you able to uininstall 7.3 and install 7.4 directly? You might need to delete the app folder (%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app) to avoid trouble completely, but installing 7.4 fresh might not upset Carbon Black. If it's okay with 7.4 installing fresh, then it should also be okay with future updates which won't touch that temp folder anymore. You are probably the same issue, @Woodchuck, so the above should hopefully work for you as well. Give it a go and let me know if helps. :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@bundtkate no, it does not work. I deleted %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password folder. Then the fresh install of 7.4 still failed completely...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zhlsk,

Could you please specify what you mean by "failed completely"? What error do you see when you try to install 1Password 7.4 on your computer after deleting %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password folder?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,

When I tried to reinstall 7.4, the installer simply disappeared without a warning.

Right now, I am using a 7.4.755 beta version which seems to be ok.

• Hi @zhlsk,

I'm glad the latest 7.4.755-BETA is working but there's no real reason why it would. There's no difference between the stable and the beta in how it installs. We did make some changes but they're effectively the same.

I suspect the 1password process is blocked by Carbon Black Defense software. I am using a company laptop. It is not an option for me to tell IT security team to adjust the rules because a password manager software requires special permissions.

1Password doesn't need any special permission, it is simply trying to rename folders in its own path. It is blocked by an external process, which can be Carbon Black Defense or a different process that is inside the 1Password directory.

Windows calls it access is denied whenever a folder cannot be renamed/moved/deleted because another process is looking at it or is inside of it, it doesn't mean 1Password needs permission. It just means you have to close the other process and then repeat.

Let us know if the next beta update keeps it going without any issues.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

I feel very disappointed after reading your reply. The installation of 7.4.753 failed, because Carbon Black Defense blocked 1Password's attempt to kill its processes.

You might want to read the log again. Did 1Password try to rename folders or to kill its processes?

6256 2020-03-13 13:05:06 0.069s ERR opw_app::os::uninstaller:240 > kill_competing_processes() = Error: Failed to kill AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe. Access is denied. (os error 5)
    6256 2020-03-13 13:05:06 0.079s ERR opw_app::app_services:21 > opw-base\src\error.rs:277 permission denied (error code 5: Access is denied.)

Is it true that "We did make some changes but they're effectively the same"?

As a software engineer, I know how to read release notes. The first improvement of 7.4.754-BETA release was: Improved how 1Password terminates its processes prior to updating. {OPW-4572}.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Hi @zhlsk,

We have a lot of red herring in our setup logs, we're trying to reduce them.

There is no AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe in current version nor since 7.0 release unless you can find that file on your computer?

We don't know yet why it keeps talking about this. We had one other customer with this same issue, it turns out that Windows locked the folder, it caused our setup to report something else. As soon as the system is rebooted, there is no issue installing it. It was not a third party solution or anything, just Windows locking it. We haven't been able to reproduce it nor pinpoint why Windows locked it. We had another customer that reported Windows Telemetry service was the fault for them, shutting it down fixed the issue for them. The setup logs shows something completely different as well.

From our testing and looking at other reports, this happens because it tries to rename folder.

We first improvement of 7.4.754-BETA release was: Improved how 1Password terminates its processes prior to updating. {OPW-4572}.

Yes, we switched from a cmd bash script (taskkill) to using the system API to find and kill them. This does not prevent our installer from being able to install over file locks nor folder locks.

It is technically possible what may have helped is that our command script got blocked and the system API didn't, which maybe may have helped. So that would mean I could be wrong, we just don't have any evidence yet.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

Carbon Black Defense did block the cmd script included in the installer:

Carbon Black Defense acts like a "black-box" program on my company laptop, so I cannot see what other actions were taken after it blocked the cmd script.

Furthermore, AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe was not found after a search was performed on my hard drive. I am not sure why the installer thinks there is one...

• Hi @zhlsk,

Carbon Black Defense did block the cmd script included in the installer:

Thanks for that screenshot, that is more useful than our setup log at the moment. Assuming that is exactly timed with 1Password updates, that suggests it blocked our bash script. We'll review to see what exactly happens if the first line doesn't work.

That also explains why 755-BETA works.

Thank you again.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT, I saw Carbon Black Defense warning window popped up when 1Password tried to upgrade itself. Also, the same warming was triggered right right after I opened the installer of 753. It could be that Carbon Black Defense also killed the parent process of the cmd bash script...

• @zhlsk,

It could be that Carbon Black Defense also killed the parent process of the cmd bash script...

Oh, that may explain why it kept closing itself but we have a fallback to fall back to the previous version as we wrap around the script; any errors, stop, fall back. Unless, we got something back that wasn't expected and it caused the app to crash instead. Do you see any errors in Event Viewer?

Also, in the setup log, did you see any message that 1Password succeeded installation at the end? This happens even for a rollback.

• Hi @zhlsk,

We just shipped another beta update, 7.4.758, can you confirm it updates okay for you?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT, 1Password automatically updated to 7.4.758 Beta without any issues.

• Awesome, thank you for confirming that.

This discussion has been closed.