Change Backup location

I run 1p7 on a stand alone basis. I run the latest Beta but my question relates to the base programme. Have you yet implemented the ability to change the backup location? If so how do I do that? If not, is it still anticipated to add back this facility?

1Password Version: 7.4.755 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for writing in.

No, we haven't implemented the option to let you change the backup folder and we don't know if we will at the moment.

However, you should be able to use your backup tool to backup your 1Password backup folder instead. The directory is %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Tks Mike. I would prefer to have my backup on an external drive but doing as you suggest in fact doubles the security.

• MikeT
    edited March 2020

Right, the general rule is two on-site copy and one remote copy.

If you set 1Password to backup to an external drive or a network share, you run the risk of losing the redundancy benefit because only one backup copy would be saved, the one on external drive.

That's why it is recommended that you back up the drive/files instead of configuring each app to do this; leave a copy on disk, back it up to external drive (2nd copy) and if the backup tool supports it, one to your cloud storage account (in the event that the external drive fails).

If your external drive fails, you'd have no backup to use if something happened to your data on disk (if 1Password was configured to only back up to the external drive).

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Excellent advice. Thanks.

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.